Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

EGR Tube replacement question

766 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  DELTAJOHN 
#1 ·
Hello all,

Finally my first question after 1 1/2 years on here... I have an '05 Ex that I'm "bullet proofing". Unfortunately, I only put 7k miles on it after I bought it before the EGR tube cracked. Long story short, the EGR was replaced before I bought it, but the oil cooler was not. I saw the thread several weeks ago discussing doing the flush before replacing the oil cooler so that makes all kinds of sense to me so I'm going to replace the EGR cooler tube, flush it, and then tear it down and bullet proof it.

I have an alldata account for the truck and they have you removing pretty much everything on top of the motor to get to the EGR tube.

My question to those that have replaced their own (or a friends) EGR cooler tube is - is this the case or does just the turbo/pedestal and intake have to come off?

Opinions are always welcome but I'm looking for those with experience changing the tube.

Thanks in advance and you have a great forum here.

#2 ·
There are those that have loosened the intake and snuck out the EGR cooler. But, after doing the job, I concluded that dirt and garbage could get between sealing surfaces. My personal prefence is what I did, The Sinister Diesel EGR kit. http://www.mkmcustoms.com/basic60powerstrokesolution.aspx
Not the cheapest, BUT it has everything I needed at a reasonable price. New intake gaskets, oil cooler and all seals, turbo removal kit, new bolts and seals, new RS up-pipe without the EGR port, and the cooler bypass. It retails for $600 and change. My Ford parts guy says the FORD parts alone in the kit retail for near that. And best of all, if you also flush with restore and restore plus, then install ELC coolant and a coolant filter, you should be good to go!

While your turbo is removed, give it a cleaning inside as well, it's about an hour job.

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.