Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone

I decided to clean my egr valve this weekend for the second time this year. I did not replace the gasket or o-rings. I took the truck for a wash afterwards and on the way home I floored it just to clean it up a bit and of course for fun haha after I let go of the throttle and got back on it normally it was hesitating almost like it was choking. I put it in neutral and gave it a few kicks on the pedal and cleaned right up. This has not been the first time its happened. Now for today I was slowly coming up my drive way and it lost power and sounded like the exhaust was being choked/covered and gave a quick puff of smoke out the exhaust. It cleaned right up quickly and has been ok. Any ideas? The truck idles good and I do regular oil changes and use howes power kleen every tank, it is straight piped, has the blue spring upgrade and a airaid air filter. I'm thinking maybe the egr is sticking or is bad?

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
What year is your truck? You should add all that on your sig page.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
You should make sure your ebp sensor and tube is clean. There is a baro sensor with a rubber tube connected to your intake also, make sure it's not clogged. Your turbo veins may be sticking. Do you have a monitor?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do not have a monitor. The truck has 182000 kms on it. The dealership told me the turbo was replaced by the previous owner under warranty at about 150000kms. Could the veins be sticking already? Update - I just got home from work and I decided on the way to step on the gas and go wide open for a few seconds. Sure enough I had to pull over to the side because as soon as I got back on the pedal to accelerate normally it was jerking and had no power. so what i do to clear it up is just put over put it in neutral or park and slowly rev it up a few times and it clears it up and i'm good to go again. Should I bother replacing the orings and gasket on the egr valve? or will that have no effect on it? and where is the baro sensor exactly?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FYI I did just clean the egr valve on friday and this issue only really started like this afterwards. coincidence? I gave it wide open throttle often before and no issues

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
You really need a monitor.....http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/showthread.php?t=259257

The baro sensor is located on the right side of the engine compartment, attached to the evaporator housing. It has a rubber tube running to it from the intake.

I don't think egr gaskets/orings will do anything for you.

I'm wondering if you have a fuel pressure problem.

·
Registered
232 Posts
sounds like your EGR valve sticking.

If i was you, i would take it out and clean it again. You might have left something in there causing the problem.

My truck does the same thing. I clean the EGR valve and its good for another 10-15K miles.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well so far its ok after removing the egr again the oil rings were messed up so I changed those and the gasket. I also cleaned the mass air flow for the heck of it (turned out it was actually quite dirty) and I added a bottle of archoil ar9100 to the oil. But I plan on checking the ebp sensor and giving that a clean.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I spoke too soon. Coming back from lunch today my truck started choking as I took off from a light. Put it in neutral quickly and slowly reved it up a couple times till it cleared up. I'm stumped. I figured there would be a engine light on or something. I don't know if it has to do with my egr because I took it out and cleaned it friday. I shook it and I can hear something rattling back and forth inside it. Is that normal? maybe its the ebp I have no idea.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Our trucks store codes. Check your fuel pressure, ebp sensor and tube for clogging.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok will do! ebp is my plan for tonight. would a cracked turbo hose do it? I noticed I had a slight split in the boot thats on the passenger side pipe up top at the turbo. It was not split all the way through just outside rubber when i looked at it last. I have another one on order. But would that do anything>?

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
ok will do! ebp is my plan for tonight. would a cracked turbo hose do it? I noticed I had a slight split in the boot thats on the passenger side pipe up top at the turbo. It was not split all the way through just outside rubber when i looked at it last. I have another one on order. But would that do anything>?
Uhm yes, that could screw your boost up. You need a monitor......http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/showthread.php?t=259257

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok I will get one but it will have to be ordered ofcourse. Would that cause intermittent problems though. I figured if its a cut boot it will cause a issue all the time? can I just duct tape it and see how it is?

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
ok I will get one but it will have to be ordered ofcourse. Would that cause intermittent problems though. I figured if its a cut boot it will cause a issue all the time? can I just duct tape it and see how it is?
It happend when you hit the throttle hard right? Yes you can duct tape it, won't hurt, might help.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well i changed the egr and went for some wide open throttle runs it didn't do the problem. Kind felt like it was one time but didn't could be just in my head. but i noticed it pushed or leaked a very small amount of coolant out of the tank? should i be really worried? could this be the source of the problem?

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
well i changed the egr and went for some wide open throttle runs it didn't do the problem. Kind felt like it was one time but didn't could be just in my head. but i noticed it pushed or leaked a very small amount of coolant out of the tank? should i be really worried? could this be the source of the problem?
Make sure your coolant level is at the min. mark. That is the new recommended coolant level. I run mine 1/2" below the min mark with no problems. You may also need a new oem coolant cap. Puking could be a sign of egr cooler failure, or head gasket failure also.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did replace the cap about a month ago just as maintence thing. It puked very little just a couple drops out the cap edge. but i guess it shouldn't do that at all eh. Now i'm stressed lol. BTW thanks for all your help southend, I really appreciate.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I took some coolant out. it was at the full mark. I'll keep an eye on it for now and also we'll see if the choking and surging issue comes back. Might just take it in to the local diesel shop and get them to check it all out. Just scared to get bent over lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Matt, I've got an 07 F250 that has a cold air intake and 4" turbo back exhaust. My truck did the same thing you've described your truck is doing. I cleaned and replaced several egr valves over the last year thinking it would fix it. After I started to notice it was loosing coolant from the degas bottle, the white smoke from the exhaust started. I had my egr cooler blocked off with freeze plugs and everything went back to running as it should. No hesitation, loss of throttle, or anything. I thought my problems were solved, until last night. The white smoke and coolant loss started again, even with a blocked off cooler. I took it to a diesel mechanic I use this morning. He did a pressure test and found that I was loosing a little pressure at a time. It's nothing visibly leaking anywhere but, it is leaking. Next week he's going to pressure test the radiator and what not. He also said it could be a leaking head gasket. If this is the case, he wants $4,000.00 for the repair. I hope it's something else. I'll let you know what I find out next week and maybe it will help you.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

1 - 20 of 23 Posts