Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If i do the cat delete and EGR plug will I gain power and MPG and will I need a tunner for it to perform right? It is an 04 so I will not need a tunner to turn off the light.

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
Deleting the EGR Valve won't do anything for performance. If your going to delete it than you need to delete the EGR cooler and valve and get the sneaky pipe so it deletes the EGR exhaust outlet. As far as MPG I can't really say either way. I have mine deleted and it helps on spool up with the turbo as it doesn't have to divert exhaust flow away from the up-pipe going to the turbo. Yes you will need an SCT programmer to write out the EGR functionality in the ECM.

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
If i do the cat delete and EGR plug will I gain power and MPG and will I need a tunner for it to perform right? It is an 04 so I will not need a tunner to turn off the light.
I didn't notice any MPG or power gain with kitty delete or EGR spool valve plug. The '04's will not cause the CEL to show up on the dash, but you will still have a code stored if you use a code reader.

A EGR spool valve plug is a cheap easy way to block exhaust gases from entering the motor. To compliment the spool plug, I recommend also using a blocker plate between the up-pipe/EGR cooler connection.

You can buy EGR spool valves on eBay for cheap, and can make your own up-pipe/cooler blocker plate.

·
Registered
570 Posts
On my 04 I got a check engine light unless I left the EGR valve plgged in(but not installed), also remove the plate from the butterfly valve under the intake elbow. I used to run a blockoff plate between the up pipe and EGR cooler, but had an exhaust leak so I removed it. I gained no mpg.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess my main concern would be that i don't get poorer MPG otherwise the mod's should be better for the motor and sound better to boot. So far 13.5 to 14 short driving and 18+ highway.

When things slow down I am going to have the dealer check to make sure the latest updates are done and get the latest updates for the tunner. Super chips said there performance tune would not be any harder on head bolt's/gaskets than stock, may have to give it a try! Thanks, Kevin

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
The issue with Super Chips programming and a heavy foot, may shorten the life of the trans. Most generic programmers don't tune the trans enough or at all to handle the extra power being pushed thru it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know what the performance tune is like but the shift's in tow tune are noticeably firmer. I would probably only run the performance tune on an occasion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts