Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all have to say that this site forum rocks, No more dicking around with halfwits at the auto stores.

Alright on to the main problem.
I did the 65mph test to see where my ECT and EOT was at (edge insight) and I was blown away EOT 240 at the highest and ECT stayed at 190. So I checked some codes (again edge insight) and it had the EGR flow code. So my question is. Are there any quick fixes out there that I can do? I will be tearing down the motor (studs, oil cooler, EGR) I just dont have the funds yet. I only really have 2 months before I start tearing into it.
Thanks all for the great advice in advance.

Also which is a better way to go EGR delete or BPD upgrade?

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
You really have no choice but to address this issue NOW while it is relatively cheap. A 50°F delta is no joke.
The oil cooler/egr delete will cost you under a grand if your just buying parts, and will cost you about 10 hours of wrenching time, if you have the tools and experience with a wrench.
Drive the truck for a few months and you could be paying thousands more for head gaskets.

·
Registered
31 Posts
At 240 eot was your cooling fan running?
I agree. The only time my EOT has ever went that high was because the Idiot at the dealer didn't plug the fan back in after he changed the oil cooler. And that was only because I was out of town and couldn't work on the truck myself. If the fan is running, and it gets that hot, I'm guessing you have more issues than just a plugged EGR cooler.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I agree. The only time my EOT has ever went that high was because the Idiot at the dealer didn't plug the fan back in after he changed the oil cooler. And that was only because I was out of town and couldn't work on the truck myself. If the fan is running, and it gets that hot, I'm guessing you have more issues than just a plugged EGR cooler.
Not necessarily. There have been a number of org members that have seen a delta spread of 50 degrees from having a plugged oil cooler.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thats kind of what I meant when I said more problems. When my oil cooler plugged it wasn't that far of a spread but close......guess what I meant to say is that it probably not just his egr....could be the oil cooler also.

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
478 Posts
Not necessarily. There have been a number of org members that have seen a delta spread of 50 degrees from having a plugged oil cooler.
like me... i got the delta up to 44 just 15 mile trip from work to home.
i was lucky that i dont have longer way to home...

i always did pull over when eot reach 230 cause it just continue the way up
and fast so safty reasons i let it cool ( my ECT was normaly 186 at that point)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts