Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
04 6.0 having trouble with loss of power,truck will choke and puff black smoke also can hear turbo fluttering in air fillter, replaced egr but It seems to make it worse a friend told might be turbo issue , only happens at opperation temp any help would be great thanks

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
My guess would be your VGT solenoid which controls your turbo vanes. Have it looked at under your 100k powertrain warranty, if you still have it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but my warranty is up. I took it to a diesel shop, they recommended putting a Garret ball bearing turbo on it, with an egr block off. Is it worth it or do you have any other suggestions?

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
I wouldn't go with a turbo unless they have actually diagnosed that is what is wrong with it. If you know of someone near you that has Auto Enginuity, I believe you can command the VGT to open and close. That should tell you if it's your VGT solenoid or your turbo.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
my truck has 70k miles on it and I had to replace my soleniod on my truck. I would look into that first. Shawn knows his stuff! :thumb:

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Does it sound like this truck in this video? This guys said his turbo housing was destroyed and he ended up needing a new turbo. Did you try unplugging the egr valve?
YouTube - Ford Turbo Problem

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well got truck back from shop today. They could not find anything rong with the selenoid with there test. Drove truck for last two days and could not get it to act up before went in shop,just my luck!! They did get me for a new injector though said it showed up on computer. Hope it maby cleared up keep you posted thanks for your help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts