Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read about welding shut EGR valves. I have an 04 F350 that eats EGR valves, about 2 a year. I have tried cleaning them but it only helps for a short time. Can anyone tell me if welding the valve shut will fix the problem and if there is any problems that will result from this. Tired of changing them HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Get an SCT tuner with custom tuning that will disable the EGR function, and install a blockoff plate in the uppipe/EGR flange to eliminate most of the associated EGR problems.

·
Registered
20 Posts
what if you do not want to put in a SCT?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,390 Posts
buying a programmer and turning the egr function off is not a fix , it disables it yes , but if the valve is bad already , boost side pressures or exhaust side pressure can still push the valve open and cause driveability isues still, you can weld up the egr valve , which will eliminate egr problems, the only thing you will have is a memory code p0401 (egr insufficient flow ), will not hurt a thing , you just need to know that code will be there , but will not turn on the check engine light, if i didnt want a programmer , and programmers arent for everybody , then i would weld it up

·
Registered
20 Posts
can you just do the up pipe for no back presser? Doesn't the egr open by presser

·
Premium Member
9,390 Posts
you can block off the egr cooler at the back, and no the egr doesnt open by pressure , the egr opens when demanded electronically by the pcm, when certain parameters are met according to ebp ,map , and load readings the pcm is getting , if the pcm sees it needs to open egr to dump exhaust gases into engine then it will open it a little or maybe even alot ,called duty cycle ,blocking it off at the back prevents any exhaust gasses from getting to egr cooler and valve , but then intake side boost pressure can still open it , and cause problems

·
Registered
164 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the help. I think the EGR eliminater slug may be the best way to go for me. I will let you know how it does later. Again thanks for all the help. Jim

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
hey snowboy why do you still have the egr there? why not just unplug it and get rid of it? j/w

·
Premium Member
19,112 Posts
It will throw a code on some PCM's. After cleaning my EGR valve, I went to move my truck and forgot to plug it back in. It immediately threw a CEL. Some PCM strategy's throw a code and some don't.

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
unplug it, get a second (used) egr valve for cheap, plug it in and lay it on top of the motor. The PCM will not know the difference.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
right, but he has an 03 so he will just get a code no cel so no real point to have it there maybe just put some black tape over the end of the plug

its the 03 and 04's that don't throw the cel if i remember correctly

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
its the 03 and 04's that don't throw the cel if i remember correctly
Mine didn't when i unplugged it for a few weeks just to experiment.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
i had mine unplugged for awhile and no light here either, im just wondering if he needs to keep the egr there on top or not

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
plus i see he has a sct witch prob shuts it off anyway, this is just for my personal info as i might be doing this same setup

·
Registered
164 Posts
hey snowboy why do you still have the egr there? why not just unplug it and get rid of it? j/w

I don't know. It's not in the way and it's not doing any harm and it's one less thing to take up space in the shop. If I take it out of the truck it'll go right in the landfill.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
dont mean to hijack but does anyone know if DJ's custom tunes shut off the EGR? :dunno::dunno:

·
Registered
445 Posts
I just welded mine shut, it worked great! However, I did do the uppipe as well.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
yes for off road use only

1 - 20 of 32 Posts