Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some background, I have an '08 F350 with 41K on her. The truck is completely bone stock and not driven hard.

Yesterday while driving I could smell exhaust fumes inside the cab, but didnt see any smoke and the truck was driving fine. The fumes lasted for about 1 minute then went away, I got to my destination and shut the truck off. About 30 minutes later I started it back up and once driving I saw the stupid message "cleaning exhaust filter" on the dash. I began to smell the exhaust again but this time when looking out the rear the exhaust was smoking white/blue a good bit. The smoke lasted for about 30 seconds then went away as well as the smell inside the cab. After that I only smelt the exhaust one more time about 15 minutes later on the farm going very low speeds and it lasted approimately 30 seconds. I had to drive the truck home so i took it careful and monitored everything. Truck ran normal and had no smell/smoke. I even punched it to see what would happen and it only pushed out a very small bit of black smoke and truck ran fine.

I am new to diesels, but I checked the oil and coolant and both seemed clean so that makes me think its not the head gasket. Possibly a busted DPF sense the smoke happened during the cleaning. But I also know the white smoke can be a sign of a clogged EGR. What do you guys think it could be? Help please

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Hopefully just egr. Was there any coolant that came out of the degas bottle at all?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No coolant out of the degas bottle. I switched to a Stant cap a little while back, I dont know if that helped or not, but not coolant puked. Would a clogged EGR show on/off smoking, or would it show continuous problems until fixed?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
My guess would be egr? Best thing to just delete it especially if you seen what it does to your intake. Do you still have warranty

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The plan is to delete it, but with my business I am super busy in the summer months. Now that I am coming into my slower times I plan on doing that soon. The truck should still be under powertrain. Would that cover EGR or Head Gasket?

·
Registered
152 Posts
When my truck goes into regen it smokes alot for about 30 secs as you stated aswell. According to ford they said its normal:dunno: . Ill be deleted shortly as well, only way these motors will last from i read is to be deleted, too bad i cant delete the EGR since emissions in Mass sucks !!!

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
How will you be deleting the dpf then? Or are you just going to put it back on for testing

·
Registered
152 Posts
just going to throw it back on for testing

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I talked to Ford and they were quite sure of themselves when they told me it was the EGR. I told them it hasn't shown any symptoms in the last 2 days, but they insisted I bring it in. I'm going to hold off a little while longer sense they also told me the EGR is not under powertrain and it will be out of my pocket.

I may try to pull the valve and clean it, but I don't know how/or if its possible. Any ideas on how to do this?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
valve wont have much to do with the smell. depending on your local emission laws i would look to deleting it. truck will run cleaner and less chance of failure and engine damage that is if youre willing to forgo your remaining warranty.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
I would also delete if possible. I wouldnt try and pull the valve. From what i hear its almost impossible even with the special tool that ford has. Most ending up replacing the while intake elbow.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Egr is covered under powerstroke 100k warranty as I have been told. I wouldn't worry about headgasket. I had headgasket failure and had extreme burping out of the degas bottle. Just a recommendation, I wouldn't have em work on the egr, I would spend the $250 on ptp and get their delete kit with elbow. No problems again. I just know I hate being without my truck and to have ford fix something that will most likely go again seems pointless. I have a friend that has been back 3 times for egr failures. I deleted and haven't had ANY issues since. Best of luck

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
If its just the valve you would have different symptoms. My truck had a bad valve and a few min after I started driving it would be gutless and threw egr insufficient code I would have to shut the truck off and restart it so it would have power again. Got the valve replaced it fixed the problem. Finally I deleted it all wish I did it sooner. My next truck will be getting everything deleted right after I drive it off the lot

·
Registered
544 Posts
For some background, I have an '08 F350 with 41K on her. The truck is completely bone stock and not driven hard.

Yesterday while driving I could smell exhaust fumes inside the cab, but didnt see any smoke and the truck was driving fine. The fumes lasted for about 1 minute then went away, I got to my destination and shut the truck off. About 30 minutes later I started it back up and once driving I saw the stupid message "cleaning exhaust filter" on the dash. I began to smell the exhaust again but this time when looking out the rear the exhaust was smoking white/blue a good bit. The smoke lasted for about 30 seconds then went away as well as the smell inside the cab. After that I only smelt the exhaust one more time about 15 minutes later on the farm going very low speeds and it lasted approimately 30 seconds. I had to drive the truck home so i took it careful and monitored everything. Truck ran normal and had no smell/smoke. I even punched it to see what would happen and it only pushed out a very small bit of black smoke and truck ran fine.

I am new to diesels, but I checked the oil and coolant and both seemed clean so that makes me think its not the head gasket. Possibly a busted DPF sense the smoke happened during the cleaning. But I also know the white smoke can be a sign of a clogged EGR. What do you guys think it could be? Help please
Sounds like the gasket at the turbo/downpipe connection. Take a look there and see if you see soot in the area ( easy to see) simple fix gasket and new vee band clamp solves the problem.

·
Registered
544 Posts
As to deleting,

If your emmission laws are favorable delete DPF/DOC/EGR of not you have to live with it.

You will need a tuner, and a delete pipe at a minium.
EGR delete, block off plate and intake elbow and our good to go.

Head studs..... if you plan to run big power and turbos without a wastegate do the studs.

Factory studs are fine for DD with factory turbos. I have 40K miles on my deletes without studs or any issues leading that way. I will be doing some more mods with PTP and they are recommending head stud upgrade due to the volume we will be adding.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As to deleting,

If your emmission laws are favorable delete DPF/DOC/EGR of not you have to live with it.

You will need a tuner, and a delete pipe at a minium.
EGR delete, block off plate and intake elbow and our good to go.

Head studs..... if you plan to run big power and turbos without a wastegate do the studs.

Factory studs are fine for DD with factory turbos. I have 40K miles on my deletes without studs or any issues leading that way. I will be doing some more mods with PTP and they are recommending head stud upgrade due to the volume we will be adding.

Hope this helps.
Actually, my emissions laws are favorable to deleting. I am located about 10 (if your info is correct) minutes from you in Waldorf. I do plan on doing deletes here very soon. Just needed some time to do them. My plan is to do the basic package of EGR, DPF, tuner, intake, and a few other things once that is taken care of. I'll check the gasket once the drive and yard dry up some from all that rain we just got. Hopefully thats the problem.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Shoot me a PM.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Gasket I am talking about is between the Turbo and the down pipe. You can check it simply by opening the hood and looking aft of the turbo and see if there is soot there. You can change the gasket with the cab on need to loosen the down pipe and then the vee band. Swap the gasket out be carful it is metal and sharp, with a new one. The hole process should take about 30-60 minutes. You need to lay out on top of the engine... not too comfortable....

I used a 1/4 socket set to loosen the vee band, nuts underneither are a little more substancial.

Cheers

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Gasket I am talking about is between the Turbo and the down pipe. You can check it simply by opening the hood and looking aft of the turbo and see if there is soot there. You can change the gasket with the cab on need to loosen the down pipe and then the vee band. Swap the gasket out be carful it is metal and sharp, with a new one. The hole process should take about 30-60 minutes. You need to lay out on top of the engine... not too comfortable....

I used a 1/4 socket set to loosen the vee band, nuts underneither are a little more substancial.

Cheers
Not the gasket. Just checked and no soot to speak of.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts