Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I welded my up pipe closed tonite on my 04. Wasn"t to bad of a job except I droped the bolt for the down pipe clamp and could not find it anywhere, started to take everything off to remove my turbo because I was sure it was under it. Once I got the air filter and everything out I decided to look one more time. I took off the heat shield off the Egr cooler and could just barley see it under the cooler, I had to fish it out with a magnet. That stupid bolt cost me about three hours. Also I thought that the 04's had the scoop in the up pipe, mine did not. I also took out my egr valve and welded it closed.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
right on man. congrats on the DIY job.

·
Registered
70 Posts
does anyone know what the size freez plug to use or what size around the pipe is to make a plate like the eliet diesel web site puts out?

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
the question should be and would probably easier to find: what is the exhaust side diameter of the egr cooler? Sorry I don't know but if I wanted to find out that's what I would search.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
If you want to cut out your own blockoff plate it needs to be an 1-11/16" to fit inside the uppipe to EGR cooler flange lip.

·
Registered
658 Posts
1.5 inch freeze plug steel 69 cents. Make sure you at least tack weld it in.

·
Registered
103 Posts
So by doing the block off to the up pipe and welding the EGR closed will this eliminate the usual 6.0 problems and make it as reliable as a 7.3l??? I don't want to start a 6.0 vs 7.3 feud...i'm still deciding which to buy....

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
So by doing the block off to the up pipe and welding the EGR closed will this eliminate the usual 6.0 problems and make it as reliable as a 7.3l??? I don't want to start a 6.0 vs 7.3 feud...i'm still deciding which to buy....

The EGR cooler and leaking headgaskets are the two main problem points with the 6.0.

If you block off the EGR and put in some ARP headstuds, then the most common problems are solved! :thumb:

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
ok call me a dumb newbie but why would you need to weld the EGR valve closed if you block the exaust flow?
you don't need to, blocking the exhaust flow is the main thing.

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
you don't need to, blocking the exhaust flow is the main thing.
David's right. You don't need to, but closing your EGR valve will prevent the hot gasses from accumulating in your up-pipe since the flex area can also rupture. My EGR valve is programmed shut in my custom tunes... :thumb:

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
o ok cool so if i block the exaust flow and unplug the valve i should be good?
Yep. You can also program your EGR closed in your SCT tunes. That's how mine is done.

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
thats cool. i have an EDGE now. i am gonna swich to the sct as soon as i get some money. what would you recomend?
If you already have gauges, I would go with the Xcal2 or Xcal3 from either DJ's Diesel Performance or [email protected] Innovative Diesel.

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
You won't need the livewire, since that includes the gauges. Go with the Xcal3; same thing, but no digital gauges.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you install the blockoff plate, what is welding the freeze plug in for? Where does it go? Also, what does blockin the egr cooler solve, or improve? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
If you install the blockoff plate, what is welding the freeze plug in for? Where does it go? Also, what does blockin the egr cooler solve, or improve? Thanks!
If you install the block off plate, there is no need for the freeze plug. It goes in the y-section of your up-pipe feeding into your EGR cooler. It prevents your EGR cooler from rupturing, which is a fairly common problem.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts