Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my first diesel, 2003 F-250 crew cab 4x4 with the 6.0 and it has a K&N system. Its a one owner truck with 101,000 miles on it. The man said he did very little towing with it, just a small boat every now and then. He changed the oil every 7000 miles and has all the documents of all other fluid changes and maintainence since new. Anyway i was wondering if its better to buy the EGR delete kit now or just keep with the gerneral maintainence and hope for the best. I dont do much towing, just a car trailer a couple times a year. Also, should I be using a additive like diesel keen and how often should I use it? Thanks for the help.

·
War is the answer!
5,386 Posts
First step is to get a monitoring solution...i.e. edge cts or something like it. It's what I prefer. Read through the stickies. Get rid of the k&n system.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
War is the answer!
5,386 Posts
Let's too much [email protected] in and tha eats up you turbo. Like sand blasting it everyday.

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts
Put the OEM air filter back on. Nothing cleans better and I don't know why some people think its the first part in the pursuit of performance to get rid of.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Put the OEM air filter back on. Nothing cleans better and I don't know why some people think its the first part in the pursuit of performance to get rid of.
Because its relatively cheap and any monkey with some simple hand tools can do it themselves and they like the aftermarket stickers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have 132K miles on my engine and I got it at 48K miles with a Bullydog intake filter. Having just done an EGR delete and taking the turbo down to do it, my mechanic checked out the turbo and was impressed enough with how good it looked and felt. It isn't like my compressor wheel is 'sand blasted' you just have to be responsible with how you keep the filter clean and oiled (oiled is most important).

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
My suggestion is to first get a monitoring solution like mentioned above, second is getting a coolant filter, third is EGR delete. I will always recommend an EGR delete, I prefer to get the useless junk out of the way. If you have emissions testing to worry about then I would get a Bulletproof diesel EGR cooler. I would also rebuild oil cooler while you are that deep in. I would not flush before or after the oil cooler, rather put a coolant filter on. Read all the posts about people going through 2+ oil coolers in a few months after a flush and make your own decision on the flush.

I imagine that I will probably get some bashing for the no flush before or after thing, but that is MY opinion. I have the BPD oil cooler so I don't have to worry about it.

·
War is the answer!
5,386 Posts
Nothing wrong with K&N never had a problem. Turbo wheel looks like new, with 178K on it.
Not trying to start an argument or throw off he thread but it's a proven fact K&N filters are not good for the health of a turbo.

The best diesel addtive out there is by far XPD by Optilube.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Congrats on the truck! And welcome to the Org.
Monitoring system first like mentioned above. Edge makes the CTS and CS and there's also the Scangauge II. Set that up and see what your temperature difference is between the coolant and oil under certain conditions (read under the stickys). If previous owner flushed coolant on time then there's a chance your oil cooler is fine (oil cooler uses coolant to warm/cool the oil and the small coolant passages in it get clogged if you're not hyper vigilant with maintenance). If oil cooler is fine then probably your EGR cooler is fine too (downstream of the oil cooler). Especially being an '03, the EGR coolers in that model are very tough.
I'm guessing you do not have emissions testing where you are if you're asking about deleting the EGR cooler - an alternative is to just block it off since you do have a "tough" one in the '03. Block the exhaust gas from entering the EGR cooler and it's very unlikely that it will ever get hot enough to fail. Then if you do have to get inspected at some point in the future, just unblock it to be compliant.
The monitor will also monitor your fuel injection control module (FICM). Below a certain voltage (46 V, I think) and it's on its way out. Need to get it fixed.
We could go on all day but it's probably better for you to read around the 6.0 forum (we're already gettin pissy here about the junk K&N intake - if you don't run in dusty conditions it's probably OK but I'll stick with oem myself) and learn about all the different modifications that can be done, switching to synthetic oil, CAT-rated coolant and coolant filter choices, and several options if it turns out you do need a new oil cooler. But get a monitor first. And then there's a whole 'nother world of performance upgrades ...
Re: Diesel Kleen - I have run it with no complaints; I think the Motorcraft stuff is a little better though. Nothing scientific to back this up, just seat-of-the-pants.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just got the Insight CS from Edge and looking into EGR delete kits, which one would you guys recommend?

·
War is the answer!
5,386 Posts
I also used the RCD deleted and you do have to undo all the bolts lift the passenger side up and torque them all back down. Basically it's taking it off but it's a good time to clean the intake. Only extra step is removing the turbo. That only takes me about 30 min. We'll worth it. Could even rebuild the turbo while your in there.

Sent from my SGSIII running a custom ROM.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts