Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my first diesel, 2003 F-250 crew cab 4x4 with the 6.0 and it has a K&N system. Its a one owner truck with 101,000 miles on it. The man said he did very little towing with it, just a small boat every now and then. He changed the oil every 7000 miles and has all the documents of all other fluid changes and maintainence since new. Anyway i was wondering if its better to buy the EGR delete kit now or just keep with the gerneral maintainence and hope for the best. I dont do much towing, just a car trailer a couple times a year. Also, should I be using a additive like diesel keen and how often should I use it? Thanks for the help.

·
Don't mind me
27,557 Posts
If you live somewhere that they don't do emissions inspections just delete the EGR and be done with it.

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
If I could start all over again here's what I would do diffrent. First thing FIRST THING, get a monitor. With out a monitor you reeley have no idea whats going on. Once I have the monitor go for a couple 2-3 hour drive. (city,country, hills and the flats) get your numbers together. Then figure out were you go next. Is your coolant/oil temp way out of whack? If not great. Enjoy the truck. Change the exhaust, tint the windows..etc. If the temps are off, well now you got a lot of getting to know your truck. But until you have that monitir (EDGE INSIGHT is what I have) you reeley have no clue. Good luck
PM me if you got any questions I might help you with. Ive have my truck for 6 months now and have learned.....well I guess you could say learned a truck load!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would check the emmission laws and delete the egr if I could. Then get the blue spring update kit. Then if the law allows get a turbo back exhaust and do away with the cat this will help lower your egts. Buy a monitor. Then if you want to wake up the truck get a sct and a custom tune. I used Innovative tunes on my truck and we both love it. And most important use this forum it has a wealth of info.

·
Registered
311 Posts
imo, dont fix if it aint broke. when the egr cooler goes then replace it. but untill then just monitor the 6.0 so you know whats going on.

bailey

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts
imo, dont fix if it aint broke. when the egr cooler goes then replace it. but untill then just monitor the 6.0 so you know whats going on.
IMO you need to do some preventive measures when it comes to the EGR system, get rid of it if your state law allows BEFORE it causes you problems not AFTER. LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts