Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anybody have a link to an easy and inexpensive way to delete the egr system on an 04 6.0 im trying not to spend alot of money and i want to try to do this myself i just need some info and maybe some pics

thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
2008 6.0 EGR Problems Here As Well...!

Hey my stupid EGR is totally sooted like a chimney and I have to tackle it in the morning. What do you mean delete it? I'd love to delete that piece of crap...

·
Premium Member
19,112 Posts
Morgan, He's talking about deleting the EGR cooler. In order to elminate the EGR function, you will need aftermarket tuning, like from several of our vendors.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im looking for a way to delete everything my self like welding stuff shut and so forth and i was just wanted a link with some pics or a write up

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
I believe there is one in the 6.0 maintenance section or one of those sections. pics and all

·
Registered
511 Posts
Why pay for something thats just going to fail no matter how "improved" they claim it to be:dunno: Let alone pay half the price of a good professional delete kit on something that will just fail anyhow, granted it might take longer for a problem to arise. The concept itself is designed for failure, cooling 800-1300 degree exhaust and cooling it with coolant designed to disperse heat and maintain a temperature of 190 degrees plus or minus a few:doh: I say get rid of it:thumb: By the time i get done with my 6.4 its gonna look like a bare bones 7.3:thumb:

·
Registered
14 Posts
ive been researching doing away with my egr cooler. think im just gonna weld it shut but i have yet to hear anything about what happens to my mpgs or the temp. can anyone give me some feedback?

·
Registered
511 Posts
You cant weld the cooler shut, you have to re-route the coolant and block off the exhaust flow. Think of the cooler as a double wall pipe, exhaust in the center and coolant in the jacketed layer.

·
Registered
76 Posts
plug it

I just pluged mine on the up-pipe end with a piece of 1 3/8" dia. stainless steel about 1 1/2" long.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I can't say either way on the mileage, I bought the truck with a blown ERG cooler, so when I got a new ERG cooler( Ebay for $115 to my door) I plugged it before it got any soot in it or the intake. It took hours to clean the intake. I can't see anyone at the dealer cleaning out the intake unless they get them hot tanked.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Oh ya, I forgot to say that I didn't even have to weld the stainless plug in the ERG cooler. I peened the end to keep it from being pushed into the EGR cooler, and when I did I used a vise to hold the plug. The vise left marks on the outside of the plug made the plug a press fit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i have had this truck for 3 months (04 250 6.0 4x4), so far i have replaced the head gaskets, pain in the *** to do in your driveway, and now have a bad egr cooler. its starting to leave a bad taste in my mouth but hopefully this will fix it and i can get back on the road

·
Registered
76 Posts
I know the bad taste(not as well as you freeman), I put a little over 800 miles on my 05 when I lost my high pressure oil pressure. I still have to tear into it to see why I'm only building 250psi well cranking.
Hear is a link to some pics I took well it was apart
Pictures by 1970mach01 - Photobucket

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hey powerstrokemonster check out the "My solution for the Egr problem" in this section.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Oh ya, I forgot to say that I didn't even have to weld the stainless plug in the ERG cooler. I peened the end to keep it from being pushed into the EGR cooler, and when I did I used a vise to hold the plug. The vise left marks on the outside of the plug made the plug a press fit.
All metal expands when heat is exposed to the area. Becasuse you have different material thickness, that plug could "float" and move around. I really never liked press fit parts like this in engines, because of vibrations and heat. Also, if your cooler starts to leak for what ever reason, it's not sealed this way. Coolant will still enter into your intake manifold. You need to seal weld the inlet and outlet flanges of the egr cooler to be effective.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I don't think that the two thick stainless parts that have a interference fit are going to move, and if they did there is no where for the plug to go. I figure if freeze plugs and cylinder sleeves will hold for many years with different kinds of metal changing temps then this should hold. There should be no reason for a brand new EGR cooler to leak anything into the engine if there is no heat going through it. The original EGR lasted 205k so my truck might be worn out before the EGR.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts