Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if doing the egr delete with a waste gate will provide enough relief of back pressure to keep the oem head studs for a while longer? $5000 for egr delete, waste gate, arp studs and gaskets isn't in the cards right now.

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
I would do studs and an EGR cooler delete. Add the wastegate later.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Am I asking for problems by going ahead with the delete and not the head studs? It's seems to be more expensive on this side of the border to do these jobs and purchase these parts. I don't hot rod the truck. Haven't even gotten over 50% throttle (with 275 tune) because I don't want any problems. However, I'm looking to enter a local pull next year cause there was only 1 6.4 in it this year. Would it be safe pulling with the 210tp tune with oem head studs?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Just drive it. You will probably get away with out doing studs for a long time. At the same time if they go don't be surprised it happened to me driving like you do on a smaller tune. You play you pay right?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
You'll be okay with just an egr delete. Just keep an eye on your engine parameters. You should plan for studs in the future especially if you plan on pulling. So far so good for me on an egr delete with no studs, knock on wood.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Guys he's asking if a wastegate will relieve enough bp to keep the stock head bolts from giving up. Hopefully someone will help the OP

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks strokin07. Exactly what I'm wondering.

I can certainly afford it, but don't want to at this point. Tough sell to the wife just for more reliability. It just seems like the egr and back pressure is the main culprit of head gasket failure which should be addressed with a wastegate installed.

So yes, I'm asking if the wastegate will relieve enough back pressure to help keep the stock head bolts and gaskets from giving up.

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
Cylinder pressure is the main cause for head gasket failure on stock turbo, stock fuel trucks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok. I've decided to go with the head gaskets/arp studs and egr delete. What benefit would installing a wastegate give the engine at this point. I don't plan on beating up my truck or going higher than the 310 spartan tune but I'm the kind of guy that doesn't like to say "hindsight is 20/20" and I should have done it while cab was off". Will the airdog system have a noticeable benefit?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
A wastegate on a stock turbo/stock fuel truck isnt going to do anything but cause headaches. It is for backpressure reasons, would only open at WOT once you got it tuned right, and with Spartan tunes, backpressure doesnt get out of hand so it would pretty much be useless and never open. An airdog is pretty much like studs, not going to add horsepower, but will help keep your truck more reliable as it will keep the HPFP happy with plenty of fuel

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
A wastegate on a stock turbo/stock fuel truck isnt going to do anything but cause headaches. It is for backpressure reasons, would only open at WOT once you got it tuned right, and with Spartan tunes, backpressure doesnt get out of hand so it would pretty much be useless and never open. An airdog is pretty much like studs, not going to add horsepower, but will help keep your truck more reliable as it will keep the HPFP happy with plenty of fuel
^^ X2. This is exactly correct. Airdog also makes for much easier filter changes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's the exact answer I have not found. Thanks so much. Retaining stock turbos and may install air dog system later. Just want the truck to be as "bullet proof"as possible. Thanks power stroke forum.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
That's the exact answer I have not found. Thanks so much. Retaining stock turbos and may install air dog system later. Just want the truck to be as "bullet proof"as possible. Thanks power stroke forum.
My recommendation on these pickups is to keep an eye on the (reliability) prize when beginning any mod process. Something not mentioned much in this thread is drive pressure, and a waste gate kit will help. Some have mentioned the PITA factor on the WG, and some have mentioned studs as the best option. The fact is that turbos run better and more efficient (and result in higher HP #'s) when equipped with a properly setup system.

The "system" includes lots of items from exhaust housing size to intake capabilities, but "always" includes some sort of drive pressure releasing mechanism. Ford has used the EGR system, and VGT position as a waste gate of sorts for years now, and well, we like to rid the engine of those items; hence no way of relieving drive pressure.

Short and long of it? It is drive pressure (exhaust pressure), among other characteristics of a diesel engine, that kills head gaskets (DP:Boost ratio can be 3:1 so still think it's boost pressure?) Waste gates are required IMO, and I usually recommend them with any head gasket install. Might as well do the "cab on" WG kit by Elite first and in conjunction with the EGR delete. Find a competent guy to tune the WG, and run GOOD tuning... makes for the best situation for keeping the stock bolts in place. Worse case? Do the HG's down the road, and you'll already have the proper supporting mods in place.

Happy Dieseling!

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
My recommendation on these pickups is to keep an eye on the (reliability) prize when beginning any mod process. Something not mentioned much in this thread is drive pressure, and a waste gate kit will help. Some have mentioned the PITA factor on the WG, and some have mentioned studs as the best option. The fact is that turbos run better and more efficient (and result in higher HP #'s) when equipped with a properly setup system.

The "system" includes lots of items from exhaust housing size to intake capabilities, but "always" includes some sort of drive pressure releasing mechanism. Ford has used the EGR system, and VGT position as a waste gate of sorts for years now, and well, we like to rid the engine of those items; hence no way of relieving drive pressure.

Short and long of it? It is drive pressure (exhaust pressure), among other characteristics of a diesel engine, that kills head gaskets (DP:Boost ratio can be 3:1 so still think it's boost pressure?) Waste gates are required IMO, and I usually recommend them with any head gasket install. Might as well do the "cab on" WG kit by Elite first and in conjunction with the EGR delete. Find a competent guy to tune the WG, and run GOOD tuning... makes for the best situation for keeping the stock bolts in place. Worse case? Do the HG's down the road, and you'll already have the proper supporting mods in place.

Happy Dieseling!
Cylinder Pressure blows gaskets, not backpressure. Backpressure on a VGT setup will vary with boost during normal driving and can see the ratio you described but most tunes now at WOT are pretty close to 1:1 and backpressure does not get out of hand so how will a wastegate help?

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Cylinder Pressure blows gaskets, not backpressure. Backpressure on a VGT setup will vary with boost during normal driving and can see the ratio you described but most tunes now at WOT are pretty close to 1:1 and backpressure does not get out of hand so how will a wastegate help?
Controlling DP controls boost. Unnecessarily over boosting these engines causes unsafe cylinder pressures (along with poor exh. evac.) Main point is keeping the turbo(s) in their efficient map will in fact prolong head gaskets by nature. So, proper drive pressures will prolong headgaskets --- by directly affecting cylinder pressure. We're saying the same thing, just differently.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts