Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I just got an 05' F250 with the 6.0 in it about a month ago. Of course the new is wearing off of it and I want it to be badass. It already has a 6" procomp lift with 37" BFG mud terrains. Every single friend or friend of a friend that I have talked to keeps telling me that a MUST DO ASAP is an EGR delete. I have read a little bit about it and ok whatever, it makes sense I reckon. But, I don't really pull too big of a load and it's rare when I do. 21' pontoon boat. And I don't travel far in this truck. 2 hours straight is about as far as it would be going, and that is also a rare occasion. So my question there is do I really need to do the EGR delete? Also, they are telling me that I MUST "stud the heads" before I put a performance chip in it. Did Ford honestly F**k up this bad on the 6.0?! It's not a huge deal to do these 2 things. I am pretty mechanically inclined and $800 bucks isn't that much money considering how much this thing cost me anyways but geeze. But, I just wanted you guys' opinions on it to see if this is really true and to see if there is anything else I should do before putting a tuner in it. I have a buddy of mine that has an 06' 6.0 with the edge tuner that you can change on the fly. He hasn't done the delete or have the heads studded, and he told me that there are options on the screen that you can set it to like a level 3 and it will not put too much pressure on the motor and cause it to blow anything. :dunno: help please.

· Premium Member
10,129 Posts
First thing needs to be done is a monitor solution to check the health of your oil cooler, FICM, and fuel psi. After you have seen what is going on with your motor, repair any issues before they cost you a bundle.

While any issues are being fixed, then it would be a good time to consider EGR delete and studding. It's recommended to do a EGR delete but isn't nesassary. For head studs, I would wait until the headgaskets decide to fail, they may never fail.

Then after you have done the above, I would recommend a SCT X3 with custom tunes. It's the top choice for the 6.0. Your buddies Edge tuner won't even know what hit him!! LOL!!

Here is some reading material.

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0-tech-files/173767-things-consider-about-owning-6-0l.html

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/ge...204386-write-up-bullet-proofing-6-0l-psd.html

· Registered
510 Posts
If you really want it to be badass then yes, you need to delete EGR and stud it. If you're just farting around back and forth to Home Depot then don't worry. It is true that some run tunes on stock trucks (that are specifically written for non-studded heads) but no way would I live with that fear.
Read around and you'll find other stuff you can do when you dig into it that far, like update the snap-to-connect (STC) fitting on the high pressure oil pump (HPOP), if it hasn't already been done.

· Premium Member
311 Posts
My truck has 65k miles on it now and has been tuned since it had 13k on it. Not a single issue ever and I've run it hard. Had a Banks six gun on it for a long time then ditched it for a custom tuned SCT. The custom tune blows those other tunes completely out of the water.

My truck has the EGR in place and no head studs and I've had no issues. I do however have an EDGE insight as a monitor so I can make sure everything is as it should be. I am no ostrich with my head in the sand though. I've got an EGR delete, new oil cooler, and lots of other updated parts waiting to be installed.......such as the one mentioned above, the STC fitting as well as standpipes and dummy plugs.

The oil cooler is a very common failure point on these engines and that's what causes all those EGR cooler and head gasket issues the 6.0 is known for. Educate yourself and you'll be very happy with your new truck.

· Registered
201 Posts
If you really want it to be badass then yes, you need to delete EGR and stud it. If you're just farting around back and forth to Home Depot then don't worry. It is true that some run tunes on stock trucks (that are specifically written for non-studded heads) but no way would I live with that fear.
Read around and you'll find other stuff you can do when you dig into it that far, like update the snap-to-connect (STC) fitting on the high pressure oil pump (HPOP), if it hasn't already been done.
Great advice there, if your hauling groceries then dont worry about it, if your hauling anything noteworthy and racing cummins around town then go ahead and do it :thumb:

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, I had an SCT X3 custom tuned by Troyer Performance in my F-150. They did a really good job with it but holy crap did it take wayyy too long for them to get it to me. They quoted like a 4-6 week lead time and it took about 10 weeks after I called and threatened to cancel it. But that's another story. But, like I said I bought the truck about a month ago from Gibson Truck World. Don't know if you have ever heard of them, but they ran through the entire truck with the monitoring thing and everything checked out and things that didn't check out they fixed it. They even put a brand new ford cigarette lighter in it because it didn't have one. Lol I thought that was funny when I ran through the schematics sheet. Thanks for the input guys. I guess I will be doing the EGR delete and head studs when I get the cash. Then 27 years later when I get more cash I will get the SCT tuner haha.

· Premium Member
10,129 Posts
Your not listening!!!!! Monitor first, I don't care if the dealer said they checked with a monitor. They probably have NO IDEA about ECT/EOT delta.

Do yourself a favor before you end up back on here complaining about your 6.0, read up on this forum and others. Start with the two link that I already provided, just about every page in this forum tells you to get a monitor solution first, then while you are fixing the known issue, replace the outdated OEM parts with upgraded parts.

· Premium Member
21,970 Posts
Your not listening!!!!! Monitor first, I don't care if the dealer said they checked with a monitor. They probably have NO IDEA about ECT/EOT delta.

Do yourself a favor before you end up back on here complaining about your 6.0, read up on this forum and others. Start with the two link that I already provided, just about every page in this forum tells you to get a monitor solution first, then while you are fixing the known issue, replace the outdated OEM parts with upgraded parts.
OP:
Listen to the people that have been through this already:nod:

Lilpooh (Rich) has been around the block enough times to know what to suggest:thumb:

A monitor is worth its weight in gold installed on a 6.0 truck!!!
The most popular is the Edge CTS insight, the cheapest is the scangauge (what i'm running)

You need to monitor: ECT, EOT, FICM voltage, EGT temp, Fuel pressure, and battery volts.

The "dealer" doesn't even know what these temps/ parameters are so the best thing for you is to NOT take everything the dealer promises you to heart... The bad salepeople/techs at the dealerships are the reason the 6.0 has a bad rep. There are great 6.0 techs but they are FAR IN BETWEEN:nod:

After you get a monitor, you will be able to see if you need a EGR delete, Head studs, oil cooler, STC fitting, thermostat, water pump, and many more things that the monitor will help you figure out BEFORE you engine blows up and needs 6-12k in work done to it... Prepare/ monitor now so you don't have to be one of those people that is upset and doesn't understand why they are being charged
$12k for a new engine:yikes:

.........And the rest is up to you:thumb:

· Premium Member
21,970 Posts
Also, If you get a monitor and see that everything is fine, you can run a SCT tuner with STOCK head bolts and be fine!!!

Many guys are running race tunes with OEM head bolts (including me)
You just have to make sure your oil cooler is not clogged and wont cause your EGR cooler to rupture and send coolant into your cylinders!

· Premium Member
21,970 Posts

Sorry bud, that is false info and these kind of posts are the ones that cause the poor Grocery getters Head Gasket repairs:nod:

If you run your truck to the Safeway store without a monitor and your oil cooler is plugged, it will cause insufficient flow of coolant into your EGR cooler causing it to flash boil and rupture. This will send coolant into the engine's cylinders and lift the heads from the block:doh: causing them a $6-12k repair bill:yikes:

Expensive groceries, don't ya think?

Dam, I feel bad for all the grocery getters that listened the that little piece of advice you gave them:rofl:

EDIT: Sorry, I mistook your home depot runs for grocery runs... same principle, expensive 2x4's huh:roll1:

· The Silent Service
5,539 Posts
First and Foremost, get yourself a monitor for that truck, ScangaugeII, Edge Insight CS/CTS, whatever, but do the monitoring yourself.

Unfortunately you can't be sure any shop is going to tell you what is going on. A simple two week neglect, can bring in a several thousand dollar job.

The only modification the 6.0L requires without any argument, is that monitor.

An EGR delete is a bandaid to the real problem, which is a clogged oil cooler. Depending on your area of emissions enforcement, you may or may not be able to take a delete route. Wait for the monitor to let you know (via a 15* delta of the ECT/EOT) when you need to rebuild/replace your oil cooler. Then solve the EGR cooler (via Upgrade, Block, or Delete, each have their place), and your oil cooler (Rebuild/Replace with OEM, or upgrade to the BPD external, again each have their place.)

My bullet-proofing thread, start learning about the 6.0L and make your own decisions that are best for your truck/goals.
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/ge...204386-write-up-bullet-proofing-6-0l-psd.html

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I really appreciate the help and advice you guys are giving me on this. And Lilpooh or however you spell that, Im sorry I didn't get what you were trying to tell me about the monitor device. I still don't completely understand but Im hopping on google right after I post this to find out. I'm guessing that it stays plugged into your truck while you are driving and lets you know if anything is going wrong at any given time. I was thinking more like a tuner...just plug it in if you think something might be going wrong and it will throw a code. Sorry if I sound like an idiot lol. I am completely new with diesels and don't know **** about them. I am pretty handy with a regular gas motor so I guess I just need to learn what these suckers are all about. Time to start reading like lilpooh said.

· Premium Member
21,970 Posts
a monitor will be hooked up all the time and show you LIVE data what is happening... oil temps, coolant temps, ficm voltage, ect, ect...

look at a PIC I took of my scangauge while driving along the highway

Deltas 4* apart, FICM at 48 volts, throttle 25% depressed

· Premium Member
10,129 Posts
Most monitors will be plug and play, simple to set up.

If you think your SCT on a gasser F150 was good, your in for a real treat when tuning a diesel. On a gasser you might gain around 25rwhp, on a diesel you can gain up to 170rwhp! The feeling is amazing!! Better than McD's vanilla cones!!! LOL!

· Registered
510 Posts
Sorry bud, that is false info and these kind of posts are the ones that cause the poor Grocery getters Head Gasket repairs:nod:
If you run your truck to the Safeway store without a monitor and your oil cooler is plugged, it will cause insufficient flow of coolant into your EGR cooler causing it to flash boil and rupture. This will send coolant into the engine's cylinders and lift the heads from the block:doh: causing them a $6-12k repair bill:yikes:
Expensive groceries, don't ya think?
Dam, I feel bad for all the grocery getters that listened the that little piece of advice you gave them:rofl:
SixO, sometimes your posts are just :doh:
Lilpooh had already stated to the OP to get a monitor in the post before mine, so how is what I said false?
The OP asked about making it 'badass.' Does a monitor make it badass?
'Badass' 6.0s run custom tunes. Reputable programmers ask questions when you buy their tunes. Among those ?s are: "What's your EGR status?" and "Are your heads studded?" That's because those things matter in how 'badass' the tunes are.
So take a crap somewhere else because there's nothing wrong with the information I gave the OP.

· Premium Member
10,129 Posts
:popcorn::sofa::sofa::sofa:

· Premium Member
21,970 Posts
SixO, sometimes your posts are just :doh:
Lilpooh had already stated to the OP to get a monitor in the post before mine, so how is what I said false?
The OP asked about making it 'badass.' Does a monitor make it badass?
'Badass' 6.0s run custom tunes. Reputable programmers ask questions when you buy their tunes. Among those ?s are: "What's your EGR status?" and "Are your heads studded?" That's because those things matter in how 'badass' the tunes are.
So take a crap somewhere else because there's nothing wrong with the information I gave the OP.

I disagree with you on my style of posts... I am sure many guys on here would agree with me due to my help to them:taze:

I am not disagreeing with you on the "Badass" part of the build! BUT when a new person comes on and asks a question and someone (Lilpooh) gives a great answer.
Then someone comes on and writes a post telling the "average" person to "not worry about it" IT CONFUSES THEM and they start thinking that a monitoring solution and an EGR solution is not needed.

The way you came across is wrong maybe not for the OP, but for anyone that reads the thread later on and only uses their truck to go to Home Depot. If I would not have called you out, they would have read your posts and thought, "well I only run around town and don't tow... I don't need to worry about an egr delete/BPD cooler!!!"

Those are the people I worry about and want to make sure that they get the best info:nod:

If that bothers you, I'm sorry but I am right.
Hope you understand where I'm coming from but your first comment was uncalled for:poke

· Registered
1,133 Posts
a monitor will be hooked up all the time and show you LIVE data what is happening... oil temps, coolant temps, ficm voltage, ect, ect...

look at a PIC I took of my scangauge while driving along the highway

Deltas 4* apart, FICM at 48 volts, throttle 25% depressed

you need to mount that thing...cs looks waay better mounted in the dash:poke

· Registered
1,133 Posts
and I can monitor 8 things at once:haha:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.