Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Greenwood Indiana. I am looking for someone to do an EGR delete on my 05 6.0. I'd like to find someone who's obviously done one before and needs side work. I'm 20 and make decent money for my age, but not enough to drop it off at the local diesel shop with a blank check.!:doh:

Any contacts/help/advice is much appriciated! :icon_ford:

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
do it yourself bud, easy enough to do. I even think there is Youtube vidoes on it.

·
Registered
358 Posts
what he said

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where did you guys get your delete kits from? how does the egr delete effect the oil cooler and or egr cooler?

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
If you have to ask those questions, I would like to ask you if you know how healthy your oil cooler is right now?

The delete kit deletes the EGR cooler, hence the word "delete."

It will have little to no effect on your oil cooler, since the egr cooler is down stream from the oil cooler.

You need to know what your oil temp is as compared to your coolant temp. You can not use the gauges on the dashboard for this purpose. You need ACTUAL readings. Deleting the EGR cooler will not save you from a bad oil cooler, and could end up costing you quite a bit more.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you have to ask those questions, I would like to ask you if you know how healthy your oil cooler is right now?

The delete kit deletes the EGR cooler, hence the word "delete."

It will have little to no effect on your oil cooler, since the egr cooler is down stream from the oil cooler.

You need to know what your oil temp is as compared to your coolant temp. You can not use the gauges on the dashboard for this purpose. You need ACTUAL readings. Deleting the EGR cooler will not save you from a bad oil cooler, and could end up costing you quite a bit more.
1) I have no idea the shape my oil cooler is in. I dont know how to inspect it or determine its condition. I am new to the 6.0 world (thats why i am here for guidance, not to be talked down to):thumb:

2) I did not know if the "delete kits" only deleted the EGR valve or if they deleted the entire system. (btw, i understand the definition of the word "delete")

3) So are you telling me that the EGR system and oil cooler are unrelated but both are common 6.0 issues that should be adressed?

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
You need to install some type of gauge set on your truck. Be it in the form of an electronic gauge set (which I recommend since you can watch many things at once) or individual gauges. The stock gauges are nothing but a cruel joke played on the owner by the engineers that designed them. The stockers will tell you something is wrong, just about the time that the engine blows up or has a catastrophic failure. You need to know what is going on before that failure.
Edge has a nice product line. TYhere is a "cheap" solution to this, the Scangauge2, which will run you right in the $165 neighborhood.
The two most important things to watch with these gauges are the engine oil temp and the engine coolant temp.
There is a link in my signature line, "Basic info" that will tell you what the normal readings are, and what to watch for. That whole thing will give you alot of background information that you should know about.

The EGR failure is caused by the plugging of the oil cooler, so in that way, they are indeed related. The deletion of the EGR cooler, however, will not have an effect on the oil cooler because the oil cooler is previous to the egr cooler in the coolant stream.
The EGR coolers are not really known for plugging up on their own, or for failing without something else causing it. Not saying that it NEVER happens that way, just that it is really rare.

Whether or not you delete the egr cooler, leave the EGR valve plugged in electronically. Unplugging the valve has shown to create some problems with the "fan on" commands from the PCM. I chose to leave my EGR valve installed in the intake. It doesn't control anything since the EGR cooler is deleted, and it appears to the untrained eye as stock.

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
One thing to be aware of that post repair, since you have an 05, you may (or may not) get a CEL (check engine light) due to the deletion of the egr cooler.
There are some strategies that monitor exhaust back pressure, Intake air temp, Mass air flow (and maybe some other sensors) to determine whether or not your EGR system is functioning as it should be. If it detects low exhaust gas flow, you will get the "P0401 insufficient egr flow detected" code and the CEL will light.
The '05 year seems to be more or less of a crap shoot whether or not you will get this code. The 06 year will get the code..

To delete this code requires the separate purchase of an SCT tuner (such as the X3) and a custom written tune. The tune will delete the programming that was written in to monitor the EGR system.
Custom tune writers that are very good are (in no particular order):
Matt @ Gearhead
Eric @ Innovative
Vivian @ Quick tricks

·
Registered
226 Posts
I live in Greenwood Indiana. I am looking for someone to do an EGR delete on my 05 6.0. I'd like to find someone who's obviously done one before and needs side work. I'm 20 and make decent money for my age, but not enough to drop it off at the local diesel shop with a blank check.!:doh:

I am in Greenwood also. PM me your phone # and I will call you.
Bruce

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One thing to be aware of that post repair, since you have an 05, you may (or may not) get a CEL (check engine light) due to the deletion of the egr cooler.
There are some strategies that monitor exhaust back pressure, Intake air temp, Mass air flow (and maybe some other sensors) to determine whether or not your EGR system is functioning as it should be. If it detects low exhaust gas flow, you will get the "P0401 insufficient egr flow detected" code and the CEL will light.
The '05 year seems to be more or less of a crap shoot whether or not you will get this code. The 06 year will get the code..

To delete this code requires the separate purchase of an SCT tuner (such as the X3) and a custom written tune. The tune will delete the programming that was written in to monitor the EGR system.
Custom tune writers that are very good are (in no particular order):
Matt @ Gearhead
Eric @ Innovative
Vivian @ Quick tricks
thanks for all the great info NYC :thumb:

I have the edge monitor that came with the programmer, but it only shows me EGTs, RPMs, boost, and backdown. I and planning on an sct xcal3 with erics tunes on it for sure.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Edge should be able to access the stock PID's for EOT (engine oil temp) and ECT (engine coolant temp). You might have to look around in there, but they should be listed in there.

thats what i thought aswell. I have messed with it quite a bit but next time i get in it, ill check it out more and see what i can find. ive been considering a 4 pod pillar gauge. and thoughts on that?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Gauges

I wanted to respond to this thread - I got the ScanGauge II and it will show both Oil Temp and Engine Coolant Temp - I highly recommend it for all Powerstroke owners, no one really wants their truck to have a 6-pod gauge cluster, the A pillar is hard enough to look around already.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts

I'd suggest that you start with the basics before you jump into deletes and tunes. Since you're new to the 6.0 start with some reading. Read every thread you can find on EGR's, oil cooler, coolant flushes and the tech articles. There is a ton of info on the site and after some (well a lot of) reading you'll have a better understanding of the stuff you're talking about. We all started out knowing nothing about the 6.0 so you're on the right track already, read and ask questions.

I'd also suggest that you get that Edge set up to monitor some important stuff like EOT (engine oil temp), ECT (engine coolant temp), FICMV (fuel injection control module voltage) and the battery voltage to start with. These four are the most likely to cause some problems for you, you'lll find lots of threads telling you why.

Once you've got some knowledge behind you the start looking at what NEEDS to be done and what you WANT to do. I'd address do the NEEDS first and get the truck reliable then do the wants. I'd also say that doing the work yourself is intimidating to start but it really is easy to do. There are a lot of install threads and the members on here will provide a lot of help if you ask.

:ORG welcome: There's a lot to learn about your truck but you're in the right place! :thumb:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'd also suggest that you get that Edge set up to monitor some important stuff like EOT (engine oil temp), ECT (engine coolant temp), FICMV (fuel injection control module voltage) and the battery voltage to start with. These four are the most likely to cause some problems for you, you'lll find lots of threads telling you why.
If you don't wanna shell out >$300 for the Edge gauges, the ScanGauge II monitors all of these things too and doesn't cost a grip on your soul. I got mine for less than $130 off amazon.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
If you don't wanna shell out >$300 for the Edge gauges, the ScanGauge II monitors all of these things too and doesn't cost a grip on your soul. I got mine for less than $130 off amazon.
He's already got the Edge.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts