Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 F 350 powerstroke and I just recently bought the pickup. I am fairly new to the pickup diesel world. I have been contemplating on doing a EGR Delete Kit and was wondering what people's opinion was on which one to go with and which is the best?

I have been looking at the Bullet Proof system and the Sinister delete kit. I am not sure on which one to go with. The sinister delete kit does not require you to take off the intake manifold or the cab of the pickup. The bullet proof system i am not sure about the process there.

If you have done the egr delete kit on your pickup please chime in and let me know what has worked and what has not.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
First some friendly advice. If I still had the stock oil cooler, and know what I know about the coolant issues with this engine, I would use the two chemical flushes to clean my cooling system first and replace the coolant with a CAT EC-1 rated ELC coolant. I would get a coolant filter on the truck and then I would drive the truck for a month or so and let the old oil cooler and filtration collect all the junk in the cooling system. Then I would replace the oil cooler and put the egr cooler delete kit on.
Do you have a set of gauges where you are watching your ECT and EOT? Those are the most important things to watch. Plenty of this information all over this forum. If you do not know what gauges you should have, what they should read and what to watch for, check out the first link in my signature line. It will tell all.

Now, to your question. The word "best" is open for debate, so I do not claim this is the "best" kit out there. I will say that it will accomplish what you are attempting to do without any issues.
This kit runs about 200 bucks.
None of the egr cooler delete kits require the removal of the intake manifold from the truck, but you do have to loosen it up enough to get the egr cooler out of there. If you peek inside your intake manifold, you might just want to take it off and clean the soot build up out of there.
The bulletproof EGR cooler delete is a very nice piece, and if you need to maintain the "look" of a fully functional EGR system that is most definitely the way to go.

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
One more thing I would like to add. Keep in mind that any of the kits that you buy that have anything beyond the egr cooler delete...you pay a premium for that company to gather the FORD factory parts. You could source them yourself and save some cash.
Oil cooler
Intake gasket kits
Turbo related items

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info I have been reading this forum a lot and have learned a lot, like i need to get some gauges on my pickup asap!!! I really like the Edge cts monitor system and i believe that is what i am going to get. I dont have a lot of cash saved up yet so replacing the oil cooler and egr cooler is a no go right now.

From all the reading i have done that is the way to go though is replace both of them at the same time. I am definitely buying a coolant filter system and having the system flushed hopefully soon. I am also going to replace the spring in the secondary fuel filter the blue spring. And hopefully some gauges.

Just a question about the gauges with the edge cts system does that read the eot and the ect without having to put any pyrometer in the pickup?

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another thing real quick is what is the better system for the coolant filtration systems? I have looked at the diesel site one and the sinister one any one better quality than the other.

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
Yes. A pyrometer is for exhaust gas temps. To install a pyrometer, you would need to drill/tap a hole in the exhaust manifold.
The ect/eot PID's are read by the PCM of the truck. The Edge CTS just accesses that information from the PCM.

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
Another thing real quick is what is the better system for the coolant filtration systems? I have looked at the diesel site one and the sinister one any one better quality than the other.
I have the dieselsite one and that one is more popular. I will just say I am not a big fan of the sinister one because it leaves you limited to where you can mount it. The sinister one has premeasured hoses that are crimped onto the fittings. The one spot where it will mount is popular for all kinds of other things. I wanted my oil bypass filter there and I mounted my coolant filter under the truck.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Anyone ever tried to cut the EGR cooler out with an air motor and a cutoff disc?

This would be easier than removing or loosening the intake manifold?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Gotcha

Thanks NYC

·
Registered
229 Posts
I installed this kit on my 05

EGR Delete

Definitely saved some money with it, and am going to put the same kit on my 04 F-550 too

·
Registered
229 Posts
In fact I got my oil coolers and all the gasket off ebay too, a lot of stuff like that from venders is WAY overpriced

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
Be careful getting the oil cooler off fleabay. You might get one missing pieces or the older style. Make sure it is part number 3C3Z-6A642-CA.
Also, if it costs more than $213.54, CLICK HERE to get one from a Ford dealer for that price.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I think this was the one I got, this is about what I paid, it had all the gaskets and the new oil screen in it

oil cooler

I've pulled some very heavy loads for several hundred miles after changing it and the EOT and ECT has always stayed well within spec

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I got mine on ebay. Made in USA. I realize they copied Sinister but in all honesty, they all copied each other. I think River City was the first one (from what I was told).

If money is not an issue, Doug at GoGo Diesel has a real nice one but it's $1100. It lowers your EGTS by about a couple hundred. Theres a thread about it on powerstrokenation.com.

Doug also has a coolant kit. I got mine from Dfuser, and like many others, NYC got his from Dieselsite. They are all basically the same. Dougs filter is mounted sideways though, which I would have bought if I saw it before I bought mine. Much easier to change a filter versus the typical vertical filter mount.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
I think this was the one I got, this is about what I paid, it had all the gaskets and the new oil screen in it

oil cooler

I've pulled some very heavy loads for several hundred miles after changing it and the EOT and ECT has always stayed well within spec
That is the correct part number on that particular oil cooler.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts