Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put on a downpipe straight back pipe with a Spartan tuner. I'm running the 175hp tune because i haven't done anything to the tranny.

First question: What tune have you all run (for a while) without any problems?

Second: Did you all delete the EGR valve along with the coolers? I have the kit to do so, just haven't done it. From what I understand all the EGR does is recirculate some of the exhaust air back into the cylindars to save fuel (after it cools it down a little bit)

Third: With the tunes installed (I don't know much about it but I figure you have to have the Spartan plugged in and on to have the engine run without the DPF) how do you go about getting work done at the shop? Do you just leave the tuner on and make sure that they know what they're dealing with? I don't want a tech to get in my truck and not turn the tuner on and then lock up the ECU.

Thanks ahead of time for the responses, I greatly appreciate 'em fellas. I just got this truck a little over a week ago, and have had nothing but F150s my whole life. I got me a 2009 F-250 6.4l.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I just put on a downpipe straight back pipe with a Spartan tuner. I'm running the 175hp tune because i haven't done anything to the tranny.

Second: Did you all delete the EGR valve along with the coolers? I have the kit to do so, just haven't done it. From what I understand all the EGR does is recirculate some of the exhaust air back into the cylindars to save fuel (after it cools it down a little bit)

Third: With the tunes installed (I don't know much about it but I figure you have to have the Spartan plugged in and on to have the engine run without the DPF) how do you go about getting work done at the shop? Do you just leave the tuner on and make sure that they know what they're dealing with? I don't want a tech to get in my truck and not turn the tuner on and then lock up the ECU.

Thanks ahead of time for the responses, I greatly appreciate 'em fellas. I just got this truck a little over a week ago, and have had nothing but F150s my whole life. I got me a 2009 F-250 6.4l.
Are you not mechanically inclined? best to take it to a diesel performance shop, something near your area. Most normal shops and definitely dealers, will not remove anything emissions related, which is all the garbage that breaks on these motors. Our one local ford dealer DID install a bulletproof diesel stainless EGR cooler on our one 06 F350 when it was getting head gaskets and studs, guess why all that blew? lol the part that they don't want to take off... anyway its been good.

You don't need the tuner hooked up once the tune is uploaded, you're best bet is to have a shop do the work and then upload the modded tune before its fired up with the dpf delete afterwards... assuming the shop knows that your doing all that ahead of time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can do some of the simple stuff, but no I'm not too mechanically inclined. I was going to dive into the EGR delete situation myself because I have some pretty clear instructions. I just didn't know if you needed the tuner plugged in and on or not the entire time that the truck is running, that's good to know that you don't once the tune is installed.

I heard that these engines are much more reliable without the EGR valve and cooler so I was really thinking about just getting it done myself. Thanks for the reply, good stuff!

·
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere
1,898 Posts

I'm running the Spartan 300 daily (stock tranny and head bolts), but I don't drive like an idiot either. Just take it easy and have fun sometimes.

My EGR and DPF are 100% off my truck. They will ruin a perfectly good engine. The EGR cycles exhaust back into the intake because the EPA decided it was better to lower NOx gas than save a motor from destruction. The EGR does not save fuel. It pumps soot and crap into your intake.

The spartan tuner is a complete reflash tune, not a piggyback tuner. Which means you can download the tune and completely remove the entire tuner and your truck will still be tuned. I usually dial mine back to 40 dpf deleted when I bring it in to ANYone that isn't me.

If you have any other questions post them. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum.

Sent from a phone smarter than me.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
you should be able to run up to a 300 tune with no issues as long as you are not doing WOT 4x4 launches all the time.....set up all of your de-fuel safeties and you will be fine.... when i bring my truck in...last time was for a radiator hose, i tell them its tuned and not to flash the computer......

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Chances are you will be fine I was one of the unlucky ones that blew hg running a 50hp tune 90% of the time them upgraded to a kem 175 and they blew two months later. I've always babied the truck only had the pedal to the floor 3-4 times since I've owned it have never broke tires loose or anything. Mine is a early build job 1 I heard might have something to do with it. I was mad at first but I'm over it now I have arp in and shouldn't have to worry now. You will more then likely be fine there are lots of guys running 300 tune on stock head bolts with no issues

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I may have miss read your question it's late haha oh well there's some more info for ya

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of the help fellas, like I said I'm new to diesels. I ran the 250hp tune (with the early lock option, not the late lock) this past weekend and was not so comfortable with how hard it was shifting. Don't know if that's normal or not. It wasn't slipping or anything, just more so slamming into gear.

Also, wanted to know what kind of mileage ya'll were getting with the different tunes. I have a daily driver and the truck is not it so I am just curious. I got 17.5 mpg driving my 52 mile commute one day last week with the 175hp tune installed. I was going to try the 40, and also try the 300 on a couple days this week. Any thoughts?

Truck has 20" rims on it, also wanted to know if I could back down to 18" or even 17" wheels. Didn't know what came on it stock, but it looks like there is plenty of room for at least 18's.

Thanks,

·
Registered
769 Posts
I think you can do 18's (if they're not OEM you may have to check clearances) if you want but I think 17's are too small. Why would you go down from 20's (more tire and rim choices?)?

Did you hand calculate your MPG or did you use the in-dash meter?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think you can do 18's (if they're not OEM you may have to check clearances) if you want but I think 17's are too small. Why would you go down from 20's (more tire and rim choices?)?

Did you hand calculate your MPG or did you use the in-dash meter?
I was looking at the wishful thinking meter (wtm)
I want the smalle wheels because the tires are so much cheaper. I'm a tight wad on certain things haha

·
Registered
769 Posts
I hear ya. You'll probably need to recal your speedo and you may end up burning more fuel too if you switch (if the tires are a considerably smaller diameter your RPM's will go up).

I think the 2-wheel drives can use 17's, but I'm just not 100% on the 4x4.

I'd also do some hand calculations next time you fuel up to see what you're getting. I have seen that gauge read pretty much right on and it also read 4 MPG off. I don't trust it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have OEM 17" rims! I'll swap with ya! Lol...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was thinking about getting some offset wheels. I used to have an F150 with -12 offset and was wondering if 17" wheels would fit with a high offset. I have 35" tires that are R17 at the house that I originally bought for the f150 that I traded in and that's another reason that I'm hung up on the 17's.

So, does anyone know about the back spacing??

·
Registered
36 Posts
Don't know anything about the backspacing, but I know 17" rims will work on a 4x4. I have stock 17" rims on mine. If you decide to sell those stock 20" rims let us know. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts