Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:ford:Hello fellow Powerstroke supporters,

I have a 04 F-350 and looking to do some mods. Can anyone tell me what would be better for me (EGR Cooler or Delete) and what benafits over the other?

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
It depends on whether you have emissions inspections for your truck where you are. If so then get a Bulletproof Diesel EGR cooler. If you don't have to worry about emissions testing get an EGR delete. I would recommend the IPR gen2 EGR delete if you go that way. Best designed unit on the market.

The advantage of the EGR delete it it stops recycling all of that sooty spent exhuast back through your motor. If you want evidence of what a mess that creates pull your EGR valve and look at all the soot inside of the intake manifold. Very nasty.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I live in CA and I chose to delete the egr cooler but leave the egr valve in place so it will pass visual. The reason I chose to delete was simple, no more worrying about if it will clog or rupture or flash boil my coolant.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys that is very helpful. I have been looking at a Sinister delete any comments on it?

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Registered
184 Posts
I used the Sinister diesel kit for when I did my delete and it seems to be a great kit. No complaints here. I did leave the EGR valve in place and plugged in for appearances at the smog shop but the cooler is eliminated. Also the new exhaust section that comes in the kit does help the spool time of the turbo a tad.

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
All depends on your local enforcement laws, I will be installing an upgraded cooler from BPD when the next oil cooler is due for work.

Deletes are ok, but in my opinion, if you are going to delete the EGR cooler entirely, do a complete deletion. Have the coolant rerouted, and replace the uppipe, enventally going to a deleted intake manifold, and take full advantage of that deletion.

If you are looking to pass a visual, it is as easy as welding a plug in both ends of the EGR cooler - or going with the blocked EGR cooler from BPD. Plugs and welding should cost less than most run-of-the-market delete kits.

The upgraded cooler from BPD is the best option on the market to maintain emissions control requirements. That happens to be the route I'm taking.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts