Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for someone that knows Codes.

I had a local shop put an EGR delete and new oil cooler on the truck about 10 days ago. truck runs great, no issues so far. I was told by the owner of the shop that I would need a special tune to turn off the CEL. No big deal, I can live with a CEL. I will just check for DTC's every so often.

Well, I can't stand the CEL. its really buggin me. like OCD buggin me.

so I grab my handy little Actron scan tool to turn off the light. pull the codes and got a P0401, which I expected, but I also got some monitor codes.
Misfire = Misfire
Comp = Comprehensive Components
EGR Sys= Exhaust Gas Recirculation System

now again I would expect the last one, but the other 2 have me stumped.
the Actron website describes monitor codes as
"What are I/M Monitors? I/M (Inspection & Maintenance) Monitors test the operation of emission-related systems or components and detect out-of-range values. "

are the other 2 Monitor codes all related to the delete? or should I be looking elsewhere?

Note: I tried to put the EGR Valve back in place and plugged up thinking that the code would disappear, (the valve can open and close all it wants, but does nothing. engine is happy and so am I. )

doesn't work. must be picking up pressure from somewhere.
No pressure = CEL is my guess.

because the light will not stay off, I'm now looking to add as special tune to the truck to turn off the CEL for EGR.

I would like to keep the stock tune with only the EGR detect turned off.
1. is there a scan tool the will do what I'm asking?
2. will the monitor codes go away also once "re tuned"?

sorry if this has been discussed, I have been searching for a while and have not come across anything this specific. can some one chime in or point me in the correct direction?

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
What are the other code numbers? No scan tool will turn the EGR system off. You will have to have an SCT programmer with a custom tune to shut it off.

·
Registered
933 Posts
my SCT shuts off the EGR codes as long as there plugged in, but the bigger headache is actually from my CFM elbow which i have to keep the flapper part of the EGR plugged in just sitting on the motor which drives me nuts i get a p 488

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
the monitor section does not have Code Numbers.

Actron®
I have never seen that before. If there is a misfire, it usually is a P0300 code that is stored. P0301 = #1 cylinder, P0302 = #2 cylinder and so on. I don't think you have anything gong on there. I'd say get an SCT to shut the EGR system off and clear everything and all will be good.

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
The P0401 is the expected code (insufficient egr flow detected) and since you had the egr valve unplugged, the P0403 (egr control circuit) would also be expected.
As you already figured out, install the egr valve back into the intake and plug it in. It will control nothing. There are 2 things that will be corrected, one being that there is evidence that having the egr valve unplugged has detrimental effects on cooling fan control and the second would be the absence of the P0403 code.
The valve detects flow through a built in sensor, and not pressure.

Scan tools will not be able to shut off the egr commands. You will need a tuner and load a custom written tune to disable the egr command functions. SCT X3 is a popular choice. Tune writers of note are quicktricksauto and Innovativediesel.

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts
my SCT shuts off the EGR codes as long as there plugged in, but the bigger headache is actually from my CFM elbow which i have to keep the flapper part of the EGR plugged in just sitting on the motor which drives me nuts i get a p 488
I have one of those stupid "EGR throttles" on my '05 Ex. My SCT tuner does the same thing and if you unplug that throttle gizmo you'll get a P0487 code. I get a P0488 once in awhile but not all the time. I am hoping that there will be someone out there that has a tune that will allow me to throw the EGR valve and EGR throttle in the garbage. Also, did you remove the disk or plate from your EGR throttle body?

NYC I saw another thread where a guy asked his Ford mechanic about the EGR valve being unplugged and the fan issue. His response was "No way does it have anything to do with it" GAWD I'm so confused now. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the first time I pulled the codes I had 3
401 403 & 405. (& monitor information)

since clearing the codes, putting the valve back in place, & plugged in, I only have the 401. (and monitor information)

SCT X3 = $350
special tune = $70

do I really need to spend over 400 to turn off the light?

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
I have one of those stupid "EGR throttles" on my '05 Ex. My SCT tuner does the same thing and if you unplug that throttle gizmo you'll get a P0487 code. I get a P0488 once in awhile but not all the time. I am hoping that there will be someone out there that has a tune that will allow me to throw the EGR valve and EGR throttle in the garbage. Also, did you remove the disk or plate from your EGR throttle body?
05+ trucks don't have the throttle plate.

the first time I pulled the codes I had 3
401 403 & 405. (& monitor information)

since clearing the codes, putting the valve back in place, & plugged in, I only have the 401. (and monitor information)

SCT X3 = $350
special tune = $70

do I really need to spend over 400 to turn off the light?
Yep:nod:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
every time I turn around, its 300 bucks.

My wife is going to kill me, or sell my truck.

·
Registered
933 Posts

NYC I saw another thread where a guy asked his Ford mechanic about the EGR valve being unplugged and the fan issue. His response was "No way does it have anything to do with it" GAWD I'm so confused now. :)
the whole things just sitting up on top of the motor still plugged in to keep the light off, should of asked matt about if he could just turn the light off in the tune

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts
05+ trucks don't have the throttle plate.

Yep:nod:
My '05 Excursion has the EGR throttle, unless I'm hallucinating the round disk I unscrewed out of my intake and is now in my tool box. That's what pisses me off about my Ex, '04 engine, '04 front suspension. ;(

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
The information I based my comment on was a lengthy thread over on the FTE forum where this phenomenon was tested and found to be true. Take it for what it is, second hand information.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Unless you get a tuner you will loose engine performance on an '06 model if you aren't running an EGR valve.
I did notice that i only get a little over 20# of boost now.
Not a real big deal to me as I don't race, or pull heavy equipment.

daily driver and drag the 9K hunting trailer around that's about it.

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
My '05 Excursion has the EGR throttle, unless I'm hallucinating the round disk I unscrewed out of my intake and is now in my tool box.
Your '05 excursion has an 04 engine. Basically Ford used the Excursions to "use up" the left over engines from the previous years.

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
My '05 Excursion has the EGR throttle, unless I'm hallucinating the round disk I unscrewed out of my intake and is now in my tool box. That's what pisses me off about my Ex, '04 engine, '04 front suspension. ;(
Probably has the 04 engine. 05+ = no throttle plate

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts
Your '05 excursion has an 04 engine. Basically Ford used the Excursions to "use up" the left over engines from the previous years.
Yah don't remind me!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so bottom line, SCT X3 and custom tune.

(%*$^&)

mama aint going to like this.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts