Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I want to do the laziest EGR blockoff possible. MY '03 uses 0 water and has never emitted any white smoke (so I'm assuming my EGR cooler is intact and my head gaskets are good), I already have a coolant bypass filter installed (so my coolant should be clean and stay clean) and I have a brand new EGR gasket and o-ring kit ready to use for this EGR valve slug I just bought off Ebay.

eBay Motors: Ford 6.0 Diesel EGR Eliminator - Spool W/clamps - bolts (item 280238745141 end time Jun-22-08 15:41:31 PDT)

So my question is... If I do the EGR exhaust block off plate (remember I'm an '03) should this be a viable compromise for me vs. doing the entire EGR cooler removal. My theory is that by eliminating EGR gas entering into the cooler and sealing up the valve completely I should be in good shape EGR wise so leaving the cooler installed I shouldn't really have issues from superheated gases and the fact that I have the coolant filter in place I should not have to worry about casting blockage for the EGR or oil coolers. What do you guys think of this approach?

snoboy

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
That is about the best possible fix you can do, short of removing the entire EGR cooler and fabing up a coolant bypass, IMO. Basically you are rendering the EGR cooler into just a pipeline to continue the flow of engine coolant, and eliminating the exhaust to coolant heat transfer. Sounds like a plan to me.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool. I was hoping to here that. Now How much of a chore is the blockoff plate? Is that a project your familie with?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I've not done it personally, as I am still trying to find the time to do the entire EGR removal. But as I remember from reading other threads on it, you can access it by removing the passenger side fender liner, then its just a matter of loosening the EGR to uppipe flange and slipping in the blockoff plate. I actually fabed up my own uppipe with the EGR flange cut off and welded up that I plan to install as part of my entire cooler removal.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very nice.

·
Registered
123 Posts
not to be a nusance here but what exactly is an egr? and what does it do by eliminating the cooler? i dont think that i have this but i may? not sure. sorry again by the way. lol

·
Registered
398 Posts
Well, even though I have only a few post under my belt I will say use the search option. There is a multitude of information regarding this subject.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts