Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been having issues with my truck now for months. Its not a daily driver so its been hard to nail down the issues.

When the truck is first started and driven up about a 3 mile stretch of highway at about 70 MPH up a slight grade by the time I get to the top I can smell coolant. I took it to the dealership and requested they test everything. They pressure tested the coolant system said there was a crack in the overflow bottle and the cap wasn't holding pressure. I never noticed a loss of coolant. They replaced both. They also said some of the cylenders on the passenger side of the truck were misfireing and suggested I replace the injectors. I declined to replace the injectors.

The problem still exists.

After replacing the bottle and cap making the same drive I still smell coolant however now I noticed an intermittent severe decrease in power at speeds above 45 MPH with tons of black smoke. A neighborhood mechanic pulled the EGR valve and there was a little coolant in the bottom. He replaced the Oil Cooler and EGR.

The problem still exists. Driving to work today I still smell coolant over that same gradual hill and intermittently had no power at higher speeds blowing tons of black smoke when trying to excelorate.

The EGR Valve was cleaned and appears to be fine. Do you think the next step should be replacing the EGR Valve? There were no codes.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
maybe for the loss in power and black smoke but egr valve doesnt cure the smell of coolant. are you sure your not leaking any?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
maybe for the loss in power and black smoke but egr valve doesnt cure the smell of coolant. are you sure your not leaking any?

I don't see anyplace where the coolant is leaking. Tomorrow as soon as I smell it I'll pull over and see if anything shows up.

Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I am pretty sure that you are going to have to join the studded club. When my HG's gave the only thing that happened was the smell and loss of coolant. Never puked or white smoke.

Make sure you check good for leaks though. I crawled over mine for about 30 min before i hooked up the psi gauge and got 20 real quick.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
570 Posts
Sounds like both of my trucks before the headgaskets were replaced, stock bolts do not usually survive oilcooler/egrcooler failure. Check the FICM for voltage,sometimes it is misdiagnosed as injectors.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the replies. I'm going to change the EGR valve and hope for the best. I'll keep the thread going when I get another update. I'm pretty sure its going to be Head Gaskets but still in denial.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts