Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm in the process of deleting the EGBV on my 97 7.3. One question I have regards the solenoid in the turbo pedestal. My first thought was to leave this out and insert a .625 diameter frost plug. My question is: would this allow oil to flow constantly from that port into the actuator cylinder and starve the turbo of oil?
I think I know the answer to this, I just want some feed back from someone with knowledge of how the ports are routed in the pedestal. If it is Okay to eliminate the solenoid with a frost plug, that will eliminate one potential oil leak. However, leaving it in place doesn't pose much of a problem, as removing it to replace the o-rings in the future is a simple process. And, if oil leaks past the o-rings into the cylinder it drains freely back to the crank case (the actuator rod hole is plugged). I don't see any threat of oil leaks coming from the cylinder because there will be no pressure build up.

Any advice is appreciated.
Andrew

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you elaborate on, "oil leak..."? Are you talking about the solenoid or the frost plug or the cylinder cap o-ring. Maybe, you mean trying to plug the holes in the pedestal doesn't work, and I should just spend the money on a no EBPV pedestal.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks,

I saw this before, but it does not address the solenoid port, only the actuator removal from the cylinder and plugging the actuator rod hole in the cylinder. This has already been completed.
My question is in regards to the solenoid: if I remove this from the pedestal and insert a frost plug, does this allow oil to bypass the bearing journals to the the turbo shaft, thus starving the turbo of oil. My concern here is that without the solenoid in the port this will allow oil to flow freely into the actuator cylinder lowering the oil pressure going to the turbo.

Sorry if I didn't make that clear in my original post; I'm not a technical writer and "I'm doing all I can Jim".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts