Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so this is going to be quick and dirty because i have a two year old red head baby girl that demands my attention.

Had 1st gen edge juice with attitude none OBD2 style. all the sudden truck would turn over and sounded like it fired 2 cylinders then nothing. even on block warmer. tried jumping it to see if it was the batteries still no go. so i decided to unplug the ancient Edge and found the wire jumper that connected to the IPR had all four wires exposed about 1/8" from the plug. thought Ah ha and took it all back to stock and it started rite up after sitting for 5 months and multiple attempts previous at starting it.

after start up it had some white fog from the tail pipe and the smell of unburnt fuel a little worried but i figured i had been cranking the thing over for a week to no avail so i had some fuel to burn. got in the truck (in stock form mind you) and took it out the driveway. as i accelerated i had a black cloud like i was a locomotive at full throttle and then all power stopped 30ft later. hit the key it started and i tried to drive away it died again so i started it again and slowly moved it back to the driveway. by the time i was in the drive i had to start it and let it Idle for 3ft then it would die, i repeated the start, idle 3ft, die. pattern for 15 or so feet before parking it.

i changed the fuel filter (thought that may be the problem) drove it to lowes, then to taco bell as i pulled near taco bell it sputtered under acceleration and i thought to myself Oh Fahk and sure enough it did the same thing at taco bell. so i had it towed home.

thats where i am now. i bought the TS 6POS and installed it last night and drove it up and down the block it ran fine the 1 or 2 miles i drove it.

So here is where i hope you come in. truck. 280k 4x4 DRW F350 supercab i did notice the plug to the ICP has some oil inside the plug but does not appear leak to the valley. would a little oil cause a problem that big?

also i have changed the CPS twice thinking it was the problem.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Unplug the icp, drive it and see if you have the same problems. Unplugging it just puts it into default settings and won't hurt a thing. Regardless I would still change the icp sensor and pigtail as oil in icp means the sensor has failed.

To answer your question with a little more detail, oil in the connector will mess up icp readings and could give low icp readings and not fire injectors properly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
also while cruising down the freeway it started to miss and sputter so I gave it Fuel and it still sputtered and missed as it would hiccup it would puff out white smoke

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
I suggest replacing the icp and pig tail. Then get a monitor so you can watch your icp and ipr% and check codes. The best bang for the buck monitor is the torque app on an android phone/tablet and a blue tooth obd2 adaptor. I would recheck your wires on the ipr and make sure your repair held up. Make sure there is no corrosion and is sealed up good.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Also drain the fuel out and refill with fresh diesel

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I suggest replacing the icp and pig tail. Then get a monitor so you can watch your icp and ipr% and check codes. The best bang for the buck monitor is the torque app on an android phone/tablet and a blue tooth obd2 adaptor. I would recheck your wires on the ipr and make sure your repair held up. Make sure there is no corrosion and is sealed up good.
thanks for the reply I have not actually repaired anything on the IPR I simply removed the edge programmer that had the bad wires I am beginning to think it is the IPR I let it sit for about 40 minutes on the off ramp and drove it and down the road to a NAPA where I am at currently.

I assume IPR because I drove it down to where it broke down with the ICP disconnected

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
So the wires are ok on the stock wiring? First step would fix the icp and pig tail. Napa does not carry the icp. You have to go to ford.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I'm headed there after I let the truck cool off more. The road between here and there goes over the Narrows bridge in Tacoma WA. And it's not a place you want a truck to stall out. I'm thinking I'm going to replace the ICP and IPR just to do it. After that all that I can think of its the injectors them selves

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the prices for the injection pressure regulator and the injection control pressure sensor at Ford are $485 total at autozone it is $332 is it worth saving $153 by going to Autozone vs Ford

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
I've heard that you alway need to get the motorcraft ipr. Don't forget the icp pig tail. The part number is sc3z12224a. I'm currently getting prices on the icp and pig tail also and I'm going with ford.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So in the end it took me 7hrs to make it back home. by the last time i let the truck sit to cool off i had to let the truck idle home any fuel pedal and it sputter and die. think I'm going to get a IPR and see what happens

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
If you want to, go ahead. But I think you need to replace you icp first and get a monitor. I believe you can get a scan gauge from any auto parts store and look at your icp pressures and ipr%. If they are both good there is no need to change your ipr. It could be loose plug under your valve covers. Could be fuel. Could be a lot of things.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So i broke down (figuratively and literally) and took the truck to my Ford dealer to get a full on diagnosis. tired of these little surprises.

ill post the result as soon as i get them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so im going to try and post the list that the dealer gave me and tell you what they THINK it is.
the first number is labor and the second is parts

DIAGNOSIS 104
THROTTLE SENSOR 52 287.1
CAM SENSOR PIGTAIL 104 25.77
EBP SENSOR & TUBE 104 283.6
ICP SENSOR & CONNECTOR 104 310.4
UP PIPES, RESEAL PEDISTAL & CAC HOSES 624 1004
REAR MAIN SEAL 738.4 87
BRAKE BOOSTER & MASTER CYLINDER 260 688
STEERING SHAFT & FIREWALL SEAL 104 307
WATER PUMP 260 465
ALL COOLANT HOSES 260 466
FRONT SWAY BAR LINKS & BUSHINGS 104 236
REAR PINION SEAL 152 57.48
REAR PADS, POSSIBLY ROTOR AND AXLE SEALS 156 406.6 180
BRAKE FLUID 89.95

What they said the mechanic thought the problem was is that the water pump is leaking fluid onto the CPS pigtail and my throttle position sensor at times is none responsive so the two together is my issue they think..... well i ask Why will it start back up after i let it sit for an hour.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts