Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all new to this site. Not new to psd 7.3 have had my fair share.

Recently have purchased a 2000 7.3 psd 250k 4x4 crew cab. This is my first one that had a tuner chip installed. I try to avoid at all costs. I didn't actually know it was on the truck until I popped down kick panel to check a fuse. And bam a tuner screen fell out.. fml.
Was told the transmission had a rebuild but no proof was shown..... so I say it didn't happen. But with that said the transmission has shifted amazing since the day I got it . So was definitely believing it was rebuilt because no 4r100 lasting 250k haha .

Was towing the lightest car (fiat pop)
And my truck wouldn't shift into 3 4 OD light flashing on shift handle.
I pulled off highway . Let it cool off a bit. And limped home with 1/2 gears only.
Started truck next morning drove it around no issues shifting at all. So I flush tranny and install a cooler. All is great for about 1 month.
Going up a hill truck didn't upshift (no load )
Got to top of the hill and have no gears at all coasted on to first side street. Tranny temp shot up to 190 from 140 (normal temp) ...
I drove to Aamco (yes I know but free tests and diagnostic)
They said my edge juice programmer may be failing and telling transmission to do all kinds of irregular stuff. I believe that kind of. But I was in stock program entire time I've owned it . They told me its stuck in balls to the wall. Hard to believe because i switched it once to extreme and it was a complete different monster of a truck black smoke. Whole nine. ...
I
Can this be true that my programmer is making my tranny act up? Should I remove edge? And also how to do that

·
Premium Member
10,345 Posts
you need to find the model/serial number on the box and then you can download the instructions from edgeproducts.com it will show you how to return the truck to stock and also has the removal instructions for the connectors.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But can the edge tuner really mess with my transmission that much ?
Or is Aamco blowing smoke up my ***.
Personally I believe that the solenoid control valves are failing and stuck maybe .

·
Hate stupid people
8,648 Posts
Edge has always had a bad name in the 7.3 game when it comes to an auto truck. their lack of "trans tuning" has been associated with blowing up many and many E40d and 4R's for longer than most of us have played with 7.3s

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just put in a reman transmission e40d
From autozone yes I know this is probably the mistake 😕😅. At any rate put in new transmission and she was running and shifting well sometimes a little late shifts in my opinion but over all it's a stock spec build transmission. Used it for about 2 good trips about 100m each way was pretty impressed with the shifts . Today my OD light on shifter started flashing / same as last transmission. So basically no more over drive shifting like **** and hard hits . High rpm shifts. 🙎‍♂️ 🔫. Pulled code P1747. 2000 f250 7.3 psd 4x4 edge tuner. Seems to be soldered in to ecu. Code refers to transmission shift solenoid comp. . But my question is what is the likely hood that the new reman transmission is my problem or should I be looking at a programming pcm issue ? 🤔 autozone ordered me in a 2 new valve body and I will be swapping 1 out we don't know what one is in the transmission.

·
Administrator
23,314 Posts
You didnt pull that tuner a year ago?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unfortunately I brought it in to attempt to have it pulled out and I was told it's hard wired into my system 😕. I did look at my ecu on driver kick panel and it has 3 or 4 wire just coming out the front when I looked in with a flash light I could see 1 wire soldered into it I have to assume the other 3 were as well . I really don't know how to tune or remove this tuner . When I bought truck I assumed it was stock ish / with a exhaust. When I went to go switch a fuse and pulled dash the screen for edge tuner fell out and I was heated 😤🙃

Shoot also as a result from last transmission failure.. about 1 year ago . I found a transmission online for 300 and installed that drove it with it up until recently. Knowing it was just a get by transmission. Haha 😄🤣😂 sold it as a core for 700. So win win I guess. But really sick of destroying and swapping transmissions.

·
Premium Member
10,345 Posts
You need to find a way to program the truck back to stock and completely remove the Edge with Juice box... Its what is killing the transmission outside of coming from Autozone. Yo would be better off with a Ford reman or jasper if money is tight. Edge Juice in particular does not have barley any changes for the transmission esp the E4ROD and 4R100 so they are known for killing transmissions. The old gameboy edge evolution and edge evolution II were programmed using Bills knowledge and are the only last resort tuners from Edge Products on the 7.3l platform. Outside of that a php hydra chip.

Edge products should be able to send you the install/removal instructions for the chip based off the serial number on the juice box. Remove it, clear the codes, repair the wiring and start from there. If you look at the link Heavy provided you'll see my same response and yet it clearly wasn't done. Im sorry to be rude but get ahold of edge products and get the manual/instructions sent to you and remove the edge with Juice box or you are going to destroy another transmission...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I couldn't beat the price for autozone reman I have a connection there as I have spent tons of money there . Got it for 1200 with 5 year unlimited miles warranty.. couldn't beat it so I will gamble found the box for the juicer ejf2100 I can pull the whole set up out in 5 minutes haha 😆😂😅 with dikes but will it go back to stock ? I tried that website. I never saw a response 😐 as they go to a inbox section I never saw before im doing or attempting to research this edge pos . It's irrelevant technology now

I totally agree but money was beyond tight then . I mean it was a get the truck back to making money type situation 🤷. Gotta do what you gotta do

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes I'll get it pulled out this weekend not really sure how to get a stock program back on but I'll be calling edge in the morning and getting information. This time I'll make sure to get through to them . As I got ignored last time by them and really just needed truck working at all costs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You should feel comfortable with the AutoZone transmission. They use reputable suppliers for them. It’s not like most of the cheap chinesium crap they sell over the counter. They are just a pass thru on the major parts like motors and transmissions and have nothing to do with the rebuilding process.

well, once you get your tuning sorted out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Haha you sound exactly like my buddy at autozone who last year alone I spent 18,000 through parts haha.. I'm the single largest personal purchaser in the region . He said he would get me the best and the cheapest with his buying power plus the 5 year anything happens warranty was better then anyone's 3 year 100k or 3 year unlimited. Plus the second I called him and said something is up with this transmission he ordered me in 400$ parts to fix this transmission and said he would credit me the 12 qts of the atf ill drop for free. So I feel like going through autozone may have been best option. The transmission was here in 3 days . And was about 1200 less then computation

·
Premium Member
10,345 Posts
Unless the edge programmer has been programmed back to stock cutting the wires does nothing. Those flash programmers download a copy of your truck file and upload a new one to program. So if the programmer doesn't re-upload the stock file cutting the wires wont return it. There are two options you have though. CALL EDGE PRODUCTS they will tell you how to return the truck to stock with the programmer your truck is hooked up to.

-If Ford even has the ability they can reflash it.
-Purchase a php hydra chip and download the hydra software. You can upload a stock file for your truck. When you plug in the chip switch to the number/position for the stock file and it overrides the ECM. The hydra also comes with many free tunes, towing, daily driving, high idle, no start, and speed limit/valet files too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Edge will respond via email . They have responded with the directions that came with original juice edge programmer they said remove it and truck will be stock again . 🙄. Sent l
Pdf directions for installation. I will do it after 2pm pst. As I can have the truck out of use for a day or 2 . Probably going to have to take it out and maybe reinstall 😆🤣😂. Driving truck better then no truck. Haha 5 year warranty trans 🤣.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Welp pulled it all out left the pyrometer in just in case. Cleared all code put in drive . The dread full over drive button started flashing instantly pulled code p1747. I searched here a guy had similar issues and it was released to his ecu. Now ... anyone have a ecu /pcm that's know good that can be a reasonable price ? I just need to work . Especially with all this with truck and economy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

My issue has been resolved thanks to Mark at wrangler fix in Florida. Holy crap that was a nightmare to figure out. Yes my PCM ECU had a intermittent issue internally after pinning out my wires / pcm / tearing off inner fenders/ testing wires for resistance / jumping my PCA solenoid/ the whole nine ..My issue was a pcm that took 2 bolts and 2 minutes to swap out . .I cannot thank him enough was at ford dealership looking at new trucks. This has saved me countless money . And I trust my powerstroke 7.3 again .

1 - 20 of 20 Posts