Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still new and learning here, so I've got a bit of a rookie question here. I need some help understanding what the Edge Insight CTS does. I have an SCT X3, so that's taking care of my tuning needs :woot: . I do not have any gauges installed though...just running stock. So I want to use an Insight to take care of my engine monitoring needs.

So...what can the Insight tell me on its own? What information can it read?
I've heard there are add ons to the Insight so that it can measure other things like your EGT, etc. What the most valuable/useful "add on" features that it has?

Anyone with experience with these Insights, speak up. I wanna hear what needs to be done with these to make them work great. Thanks!

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
I love my cts. I purchased the cts and an SCT 3015 w/ custom tunes from Matt @ gearhead. The truck is definitely alive now. I will say 1 thing about monitoring your truck. It will send you into panic mode after seeing some of the readouts. I'm on the hook now for an FICM after seeing my voltage @ 31.0v on startup...

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
I love my cts. I purchased the cts and an SCT 3015 w/ custom tunes from Matt @ gearhead. The truck is definitely alive now. I will say 1 thing about monitoring your truck. It will send you into panic mode after seeing some of the readouts. I'm on the hook now for an FICM after seeing my voltage @ 31.0v on startup...
And that's exactly why we monitor things. So it doesn't cost a FICM AND a new set of injectors to fix it. :D

·
Registered
59 Posts
I love my cts. I have the display for 8 gauges. And i have the expandable probe, not hooked up yet. Definitely worth the money..

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Had the same thing on my truck a month ago. Ficm was at 35v. Was at the same time I was getting my studs done, so it got fixed then. No wonder the injectors weren't getting enough power lol

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is a pretty thorough explination of what these Monitors can watch for and the why. I wrote it for the Insight, but have included info and links to other options.

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-0l-discussion/259257-write-up-monitoring-6-0l-psd.html

For complete 6.0L monitoring I prefer an Insight CS, packaged with EGT probe and Fuel Pressure sender. Best bang-for-the-buck, and cleanest installation.
Any questions, just ask
Well after reading that post, I'd have to agree about using an Insight with the EGT and Fuel Pressure monitors. I guess the next step is finding a good deal on one, here in Canada lol

·
Registered
264 Posts
For complete 6.0L monitoring I prefer an Insight CS, packaged with EGT probe and Fuel Pressure sender. Best bang-for-the-buck, and cleanest installation.
Any questions, just ask
I'm curious what you like about the CS over the CTS. I like the smaller size and buttons, not a fan of touch screens. As far as I can tell the only advantage to the CTS other than a larger screen is the camera option.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Is the CTS an easy install unit? what fixes do you have to perform in case you have a FICM at 31v? I live in Chile and the F350 is really hard to find truck, Ford dealers dont have a clue on working on them, so everything I have to do to it is done by me.
I´m getting a SCTX3 soon and in november maybe the CTS with the pyro and fuel sender (as you say it a good deal). Do I need other analog gauges? turbo boost? Trans temp? coolant temp? or does the CTS have all this?

thanks a lot from Chile.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Is the CTS an easy install unit? what fixes do you have to perform in case you have a FICM at 31v? I live in Chile and the F350 is really hard to find truck, Ford dealers dont have a clue on working on them, so everything I have to do to it is done by me.
I´m getting a SCTX3 soon and in november maybe the CTS with the pyro and fuel sender (as you say it a good deal). Do I need other analog gauges? turbo boost? Trans temp? coolant temp? or does the CTS have all this?

thanks a lot from Chile.
Arriero, the cts is crazy easy to install... Take it out of the box and plug it into your obdII connection under your steering wheel portion of the dash. I have mine in the ashtray. It's concealed when not in use...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah but doesn't it get way more complicated when you're setting to up to monitor egt's and fuel pressure??

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
The egt probe is a 20 min tap job to your exhaust manifold, fuel pressure can be a bit more complicated if you don't use sinister's test port adaptor. It is a whole lot easier than doing this job with traditional gauges (I have both the Insight and Autometers).

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Mine is set up to monitor EOT, ECT, TFT, Battery V, FICM V, Boost, Gear (snapped the gear indication cable so although I can put it into whichever gear, the dash indicator is stuck on 1), and another I forget.

Pricing out analog gauges and it becomes aparent which gauge style is the better way to go.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh no doubt it's way easier than traditional gauges. But the egt and fuel press are no "easy" jobs for me. lol

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
You can always take it to a shop to have them do it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have been monitoring my truck with Insight CTS for a few weeks now and love the layout of it.. very easy to use. The only issue I ran into right away was I can not run my SCT SF3 with the CTS. Not sure if anyone else has had luck with it, but it doesn't allow me to run both. I was only using a canned tune, so I'm debating buying a custom tune, but SCT customer service said both can't work together. Is this true?

·
Registered
411 Posts
I was schooled on the two devices plugged into the same obd2 , and edge just came out with an update for the insight that lets it data log so ya really don't need any thing else plugged in!

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'm not trying to have them both plugged in at the same time.. i upload the tune and then unplug the sct and plug in the cts.. i'm not concerned with the data logging just want to have my trucked tuned for the power/fuel mileage

1 - 20 of 31 Posts