Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend is offering my a edge evolution for a really good price. What are you guy's experiences with this programmer. I have heard both good and bad about edge. I have a Banks Big Hoss now but I want more power. I was thinking custom tunes but I dont have the money now and the edge deal is almost to good to pass up. Thanks for the input.

·
Banned
722 Posts
whats he asking? me brother and dad both run the edge and like it. But i have herd some bad stuff about them. If it was me and it was a good price i would buy it. but thats just me

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$200 brand new in the box never opened. It is $404 new on the edge website. He bought 3 of them on ebay for cheap so he is selling 2 and he has the third on his truck. His truck is the same as mine except I have a Banks Big Hoss and I drove them both and the edge is noticably better with acceleration, smoke, and I like the ability to read/clear trouble codes and change power levels.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
I would advise not doing that unless you want to buy another tranny.

Edge products are very well known for destroying transmissions.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My tranny was rebuilt less than 500 miles ago. I have also heard of the tranny issue and I deffinatly dont want another bad tranny. If I drive like I always do and dont hammer on it alot and never sled pull or anything it should be fine for a long time I would think (and hope).

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
My tranny was rebuilt less than 500 miles ago. I have also heard of the tranny issue and I deffinatly dont want another bad tranny. If I drive like I always do and dont hammer on it alot and never sled pull or anything it should be fine for a long time I would think (and hope).
Yeah, it should last a long time. UNLESS you stick the edge on it.:hehe:

IF you just had it rebuilt 500 miles ago, i definitely wouldn't stick the edge on it. You REALLY dont wanna fry the brand new tranny, cause they definitely aint cheap:doh:

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
are they really that bad on trannies??? how does everyone else like their edge products?

·
Banned
722 Posts
my brother has had all 3 of the edges on his truck for a good 70,000 miles and mad dad has had the evolution for about 50,000. and no tranny probs. so i dont really see whats wrong with them?

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
i have had my edge for a while(approx.20,000 miles) and have had no problems with my tranny what so ever. it has been a good product for me. me and a couple buddies have them and none of us have had tranny problems. i think those that have had tranny problems with the edge may have had a weak tranny to begin with IMO.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input guys. If my Banks sells I pretty sure im gunna go ahead and get the Edge.

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. If my Banks sells I pretty sure im gunna go ahead and get the Edge.
you will like it, its been good to me, just keep track of the tranny temp and all should be well:thumb:

·
a truck
13,142 Posts
I used to have the evolution on my truck and I really wasnt impressed by the power gains so I sold it and got the TS chip and it was a HUGE difference. The TS chip woke my truck up so much more I would really recommend saving up for a TS or even better a TW chip

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I really want Wildman tunes but I havent even paid the truck off yet. Im not to impressed with the Banks and the Edge is alot better. If this sale goes through on my Banks chip I will get the Edge for a straight trade off or only have to pay $50 max. Sell the Banks for $150-200 and pay $200 for the Edge so It would be an upgrade until I get the funds for a Wildman chip.

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
I used to have the evolution on my truck and I really wasnt impressed by the power gains so I sold it and got the TS chip and it was a HUGE difference. The TS chip woke my truck up so much more I would really recommend saving up for a TS or even better a TW chip
you are right:thumb:, i am getting the tw just because i have heard how sweet they are. but for now the edge works i guess

·
a truck
13,142 Posts
yeah same here the edge worked for a while unfortunately I didnt know about the TW chip when I got rid of the edge or I would have got that over the TS chip but Im just gonna get it reburned

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am running the platnum series i pull a 40 ft flat bed and most usualy 15000 lbs 34000 gross weight and it works perfect.I gained 2 1/2 mpg pulling and almost 5 without my trailer

·
Registered
23 Posts
from the best of my knowledge its more the tranny thats the problem from the get go of course you go adding more power and stuff it wasn't designed for of course you are going to have problems! Plus you got a newer 7.3 you already put out approx. 100 hp more than the old body style 7.3! but for me I'll stick with my 5 speed i can get 3 to 4 clutches for the price of a automatic my truck has 360,000 miles and tranny guys said if it wasn't the original clutch that came off of it it was only the second especially as good as the dual mass flywheel looked and never turned!

·
Stupidity pisses me off
3,861 Posts
are they really that bad on trannies??? how does everyone else like their edge products?
from the best of my knowledge its more the tranny thats the problem from the get go of course you go adding more power and stuff it wasn't designed for of course you are going to have problems! Plus you got a newer 7.3 you already put out approx. 100 hp more than the old body style 7.3! but for me I'll stick with my 5 speed i can get 3 to 4 clutches for the price of a automatic my truck has 360,000 miles and tranny guys said if it wasn't the original clutch that came off of it it was only the second especially as good as the dual mass flywheel looked and never turned!
Yes they ARE that bad on trannies, mark MY words! I don't care how many miles you have on your edge IT WILL SMOKE YOUR TRANNY!
IF YOU HAVE A BANKS KEEP IT, DON'T GET THE EDGE!
SAVE YOUR $$$$$ FOR A TW CHIP!!!!!
They aren't going to just SMOKE your tranny the first 100 miles, but they WILL eventually smoke it! I ran mine on the lowest setting for a YEAR and suddenly it wouldn't shift from second to third, then it wouldn't shift at all,then I'd put it in gear and it wouldn't even move, then it would be "normal" for a couple of days, then start over.
Finally before I had it R&R'd I would be driving and go to WOT and the RPM'S would shoot up, and the truck wouldn't move any faster
$3,000 and a rebuild later I SOLD THE EDGE EVO
The problem with the Edge is they don't really back up the engine files with transmission files. The TW chip, and all the other custom tunes will also retune your transmission with better files. I think the edge claims it does, but trust me it doesn't!

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have an evo, and my truck has 260,000 miles on it. And no trany problems. I have noticed the lowest setting " tow " shifts harder than race and extreme. I will be getting a TW chip once I get the truck where I want it. But for now the Evo works great

1 - 20 of 21 Posts