Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AUXILIARY OPTIONS?

Hey all... I am getting my old 6.0L ready for towing this summer... Picked up the new CTS3 to help me understand the truck temps and codes...

Looking for some advice on what all Auxiliary stuff you hook up to this device? I understand I have four auxiliary options to use.

thanks in advance for the help— and if there are other forums to grab this data— feel free to let me know?

Skipper T

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Egt and fuel psi. Maybe tft.
TFT is already being displayed in the photo I posted— I assume it comes as a standard sensor on the truck? 🤷‍♂️ I honestly have no clue sir. I bought the EGT probe and installed it this evening and that temp is also on screen in that photo— I purchased the Edge FUEL Sensor — and will install that one night this week after work.
So— Where can I read up on the whole “BLUE WIRE MOD”?

I guess I will YouTube it to see if 6.0 Bros or Diesel Tech Ron have any videos explaining it— uses, and warnings about it... 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
TFT is already being displayed in the photo I posted— I assume it comes as a standard sensor on the truck? I honestly have no clue sir. I bought the EGT probe and installed it this evening and that temp is also on screen in that photo— I purchased the Edge FUEL Sensor — and will install that one night this week after work.
So— Where can I read up on the whole “BLUE WIRE MOD”?

I guess I will YouTube it to see if 6.0 Bros or Diesel Tech Ron have any videos explaining it— uses, and warnings about it...
Consider getting a 2nd pressure sensor and running "base" oil pressure. The 3 gauges needed in these trucks, that they do t come with, are fuel psi, base oil psi and egt.

BLUE WIRE MOD; The basics is that there is a "blue wire" in the fan clutch harness, tap into that with an additional wire, rune the new wire into the cab and to a switch, then another wire from the switch to a ground point. When you turn the switch (on), the blue wire grounds the fan clutch (or something) causing the clutch to lock up and run the fan at full speed, turn the switch (off) and the fan operates normally. The downside is that the fan is really loud at full speed. I describe it as an "empty transmission" or bad power steering pump sound. Good and {harmless} mod for towing.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Consider getting a 2nd pressure sensor and running "base" oil pressure. The 3 gauges needed in these trucks, that they do t come with, are fuel psi, base oil psi and egt.

BLUE WIRE MOD; The basics is that there is a "blue wire" in the fan clutch harness, tap into that with an additional wire, rune the new wire into the cab and to a switch, then another wire from the switch to a ground point. When you turn the switch (on), the blue wire grounds the fan clutch (or something) causing the clutch to lock up and run the fan at full speed, turn the switch (off) and the fan operates normally. The downside is that the fan is really loud at full speed. I describe it as an "empty transmission" or bad power steering pump sound. Good and {harmless} mod for towing.

THANK YOU for this. Wow. So that is super interesting— I thought that one of my sensors is already capturing oil pressure. So help me understand the value of BASE oil pressure? Eg what would it tell me? Trouble shooting benefits?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
THANK YOU for this. Wow. So that is super interesting— I thought that one of my sensors is already capturing oil pressure. So help me understand the value of BASE oil pressure? Eg what would it tell me? Trouble shooting benefits?
The "oil pressure" gauge on the dash is an on/off (or "cool looking") idiot light. It doesn't actually tell you what the "base" oil pressure (lpo) is. "Base oil pressure" being the oil pressure that is flowing through the engine, pushed by the lpop (low pressure oil pump). The hpop is monitored by a sensor and can be read through the pcm, this is the oil pressure that fires the injectors.
There is a "test port" for lpo on the front of the oil cooler housing. You can access it at the front of the motor, just below the intake manifold, under the egr valve. It's a brass plug looking thing.
Monitoring this, make sure that you are feeding the motor AND the hpop properly. If you loose lpop, you will destroy the hpop, along with whatever else in the engine (just like any motor).
If you don't have something to watch voltage, that's a good thing to have too. I use a "high speed USB port" that has a voltage display on it. I replaced the cigar lighter with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts