Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving my 04 up a 7% grade(5 miles long) last night unloaded running Vivians looney wild my ect got up to 220. I'm pretty sure this isn't normal. Could it be my tune or its there a bigger issue? Normal just running down the freeway ect is 197 eot is 202. It was 96 degrees out yesterday as well if that makes a difference.
Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
I will leave the tuner part to others that know tuners.
Check your coolant level. Did you hear your fan get louder.
Check for air restriction thru the a/c condensor, cac and radiator; trash bent fins etc.
Was there any heavy white smoke what was your oil temps.

There are a number of things that can cause general overheat conditions. Besides head gasket failure.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No white smoke i just did my oil cooler and egr delete and i put the coolant to the min line on my degas bottle. Pretty sure its not head gaskets though. I didn't hear my fan get louder though. Eot temp was only a few degrees higher at 224

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
when is the last time you checked your coolant level?

after draining the system you have to moniter the level for a few hundred miles while air works its way out of the system. after i did my elc and thermostat change on my old 6.4 i had to add almost a gallon during the first 100~ miles.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
LOL always loved the 6.4. Ford didn't learn from the 6.0's cooler problems they went and added a 2nd egr cooler and topped it off with a fuel cooler too boot. So many places to trap air LMAO.

Sorry just my opinion tho.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will have to go check the level. I haven't checked it since I did the flush a week ago.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Coolant level is low only to the very bottom of my degas bottle. would that cause higher temps?

·
Administrator
30,932 Posts
honestly I wouldn't sweat increased ECT while driving a grade that long (5 miles is loong).. with a tune

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
I wouldn't go that far zmann. I pulled fancy gap mountain which is. 7-8% grade and 11 miles long at 75 with cruise on, 96*f outside with my 120 hp economy tune from river city diesel and my coolant temps never went over 200.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So what do you think the problem is Tuscany? My worry is I will be pulling my 14000 lb bumper camper over this hill in a few weeks and I'm not going to make it without roasting the motor.

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
Did you ever flush the coolant when you did the engine swap or right after it? I'd start with the basics like dannyboy said. If you flushed your coolant and your getting combustion gasses in the coolant then you either have a blown egr cooler (which you said you deleted) or your head gaskets are blown.

If your doing a heavy haul than return your programming to stock for the time being until you can pinpoint the cause for this. But seeing as your only getting a couple psi on a pressure gauge when testing than I'm assuming the hot cooling temps are from a radiator that simply isn't cooling well. I'd start their or swap the thermostat as it may be sticking as well and clean the fins of the radiator, ad condenser, and cac with a garden hose by pushing the water through from the engine compartment out.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Head gaskets are good pressure tested right before i studded it one at a time. I flushed before i did the oil cooler and really didn't have that much crud come out. I guess i will take off my radiator and see if the fins are all plugged up and top it off with more coolant since it is a gallon low.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When the fan kicks on can you hear it over the sound of your motor and exhaust? I don't ever think I've heard my fan kick on at any hill.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Your fan at or near lock up [full engagement] will sound like a plane trying to take off and you should be able to hear it. Unless ya got a realllyyy noisey engine.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What temp does it lock up?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts