Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 00 psd, bought used in 05. I live in colorado and winters get cold. Since I bought the truck the ebpv has never actuated. Is stuck for whatever reason in the open position. Had a guy a shop a few years ago do a contribution test on my injectors and he also tried to actuate the ebpv by computer. Nothing happened, but he didn't know enough how to troubleshoot it. Anyone have suggestions? I have checked the plug but have not checked the tube yet.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
I assume you've made sure it's plugged in?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC against my will

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya I checked the plug under the turbo. But I have not checked the tube or sensor. After reading more I now understand where the sensor and tube are.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
I don't think the sensor and tube will affect the valve closing unless it is always reading excessive backpressure or something like that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could it be the valve itself is just froze. I tried reaching down there to move it but my hand didn't quite fit. Has anyone seen a good wrote up on the removal of the whole valve assembly?

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Ya, there are a few around. You basically just remove the turbo, cut the valve out, and stuff a freeze plug in there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not interested in deleting the valve I would like it to serve its purpose. Hopefully. How difficult is it to remove the turbo?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is the parking brake one of the required parameters of the valve working? I heard it is for the aih. The first winter I owned it the parking brake failed and I have never replaced it..... Ha guess I ought to

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
The turbo isn't that hard to get out. I had to sit in the engine compartment (on the radiator) to reach the exhaust and compressor lines. The pedestal is a little tricky with one bolt in the back driver side but you won't need to remove the pedestal unless you are replacing the o-rings under it. If you remove the turbo you might as well replace the top o-rings (turbo to pedestal). You can buy a rebuilt kit for the EBPV. A fine steel wool works great for burnishing out the actuator bore which is about and inch and a quarter in diameter. Reassemble and you're ready to go. Less than $100 in parts. All this assumes the EBPV actuator piston is the culprit. If it's software, then this is a waste of time but it sounds like your problem is mechanical. You can get what you need at DieselOrings.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts