Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I've been having some issues out of my truck, it's chewing up EBP sensors. And causing some driving issues, where the truck won't build boost well.

I just had the sensor replaced at a shop last week. It came from the Ford dealership. I had previously replaced it myself, and even cleaned it before finally taking it to the shop. It will run fine for a couple days and then start acting up again.

This problem follows a build that included new injectors, and during install the lower o-rings on cylinder 6 and 8 we're ripped, and it flooded the cylinders and hydro locked the engine. The issue was resolved, and the shop got the truck running, but the EBP sensor tube had to be cleaned out, because of the fuel that was dumped in the exhaust manifold.

Last week, the tech noted that the EBP sensor was reading -6 psi, and after replacing, it was 13-14 psi.

Now, only a few days later, the truck is producing the same symptoms as before the sensor replacement. Low boost, intermittent boost, loud whistle, low power.....

So, my question is, can there be an underlying issue with the EBP sensor? I'm going to have the shop replace the EBP sensor tube on Friday. But it's getting old putting my truck in the shop once a week at $300 a pop, and the issue not being resolved for more than a couple days.

Another few questions, what is the relative cost of going non-VGT? What is involved in the procedure? Of those who have done the swap, are you satisfied with the results?

·
Compression Ignition Addict
8,774 Posts
You certainly did spend some money!!!

Sorry you are having problems, but MANY, MANY times the 6.0L problems are related to poor choice of parts or poor workmanship. When the proper upgrades are done, it can be a fine engine.

I would have it back at that shop after what you spent .... Unless of course you are not on speaking terms with them after the injector failures and hydrolocking. 3 months past and it should still be under warranty.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hey everyone, I've been having some issues out of my truck, it's chewing up EBP sensors. And causing some driving issues, where the truck won't build boost well.

I just had the sensor replaced at a shop last week. It came from the Ford dealership. I had previously replaced it myself, and even cleaned it before finally taking it to the shop. It will run fine for a couple days and then start acting up again.

This problem follows a build that included new injectors, and during install the lower o-rings on cylinder 6 and 8 we're ripped, and it flooded the cylinders and hydro locked the engine. The issue was resolved, and the shop got the truck running, but the EBP sensor tube had to be cleaned out, because of the fuel that was dumped in the exhaust manifold.

Last week, the tech noted that the EBP sensor was reading -6 psi, and after replacing, it was 13-14 psi.

Now, only a few days later, the truck is producing the same symptoms as before the sensor replacement. Low boost, intermittent boost, loud whistle, low power.....

So, my question is, can there be an underlying issue with the EBP sensor? I'm going to have the shop replace the EBP sensor tube on Friday. But it's getting old putting my truck in the shop once a week at $300 a pop, and the issue not being resolved for more than a couple days.

Another few questions, what is the relative cost of going non-VGT? What is involved in the procedure? Of those who have done the swap, are you satisfied with the results?
I think these guys will help with your EBP situation but in terms of VGT, do you tow at all? A VGT will always tow better than a non vgt. But, if you're trying to make big power, then yeah. REMOVE THE VARIABLE. MAKE IT RELIABLE.

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
Has the EBP sensor connector been replaced? If not I recommend doing that before replacing the sensor again.
This 100%!!

-jokester

Reactions: mlgjellybean123

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think these guys will help with your EBP situation but in terms of VGT, do you tow at all? A VGT will always tow better than a non vgt. But, if you're trying to make big power, then yeah. REMOVE THE VARIABLE. MAKE IT RELIABLE.
I do tow. And I haul. I had 3 tons of gravel in the bed a few weeks back, and my wife wants a camper.

I own a handyman service, and that puts me doing all kids of work. From concrete, to electrical switches, to tree work, to mowing, etc.

I built this truck to last and to work. I'm 42, so I don't really care about the hotrod, showoff stuff. I just want my truck to run how I need it to, when I need it to, every time.

I'm frustrated. And I don't know how to approach the issue with the shop. I've sent messages this time about the hydrolocking issue, the EBP tube getting clogged and the sensor being replaced, only to have issues literally a day later. I don't want to be rude. But I'm tired of spending money on something I spent so much money on......

There has to be a line. Like,there has to come a point where this is t on me. I have less than 5k miles on the truck since the build. I'm in a spot for sure.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had the same problem with my 06 F350. replacing the connector end solved the problem of the short lived ebp sensor for me. It took 3 sensors for me to figure it out.

Reactions: jokester00

·
8,774 Posts
You should be able to run just fine for the short term by simply unplugging the EBP IF it is a sensor issue. If you have a short in the wiring or connector, unplugging it may or may not help for the short term.

That said, the EBP connector is cheap and easy to install yourself. Want a part number?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ys
You should be able to run just fine for the short term by simply unplugging the EBP IF it is a sensor issue. If you have a short in the wiring or connector, unplugging it may or may not help for the short term.

That said, the EBP connector is cheap and easy to install yourself. Want a part number?
Yes please.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I do tow. And I haul. I had 3 tons of gravel in the bed a few weeks back, and my wife wants a camper.

I own a handyman service, and that puts me doing all kids of work. From concrete, to electrical switches, to tree work, to mowing, etc.

I built this truck to last and to work. I'm 42, so I don't really care about the hotrod, showoff stuff. I just want my truck to run how I need it to, when I need it to, every time.

I'm frustrated. And I don't know how to approach the issue with the shop. I've sent messages this time about the hydrolocking issue, the EBP tube getting clogged and the sensor being replaced, only to have issues literally a day later. I don't want to be rude. But I'm tired of spending money on something I spent so much money on......

There has to be a line. Like,there has to come a point where this is t on me. I have less than 5k miles on the truck since the build. I'm in a spot for sure.
Not rude at all man. I think it's very important to analyze your options before pulling the trigger, and really think about what you will do in the next year or two. But, back to the VGT lol, I would stick with it if I were you. If most of your towing is on the highway, you can get away with a big single but around town with stop and start traffic, that vgt really helps get you moving. I don't tow much with mine so I will be putting a non vgt soon, and make more power.

·
8,774 Posts
I'm pretty sure I heard you can't use it as an ICP pigtail. Or maybe that was the sensor....
You can use the pigtail for either sensor. Without a doubt.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts