Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched all of the forums for info - but no luck.

So I made the decision to order a Gear Vendor unit, and found out from axle codes that I have the 3.73 ratio.

Early '99 (as in 2/98 build date) SuperDuty 7.4 liter. 125,000 on the ODO.

On the door pillar label, there is a "TR" code = "E", not sure if TR is "Transmission" or not...

Crawled under the rig and found these numbers on the automatic tranny:

7G F81P-LB
PRB-J1

and the word "Metric" on the pan.

So what tranny do I have? Hate to order the wrong Gear Vendor unit!

Love the truck, by the way. I put approx 4,000 miles per month, 90% on dirt and gravel roads, out here in the high desert.

Thanks for replies

Flinch

·
Registered
738 Posts
you have a 4r100 transmission. Are you trying to get better mpg or what? An overdrive unit is a lot of gas money, and you won't be able to say for sure how much better, if any, your mpg will get.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
my e40d had the word Metric on it, but not those codes.

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts
you have a 4r100 transmission. Are you trying to get better mpg or what? An overdrive unit is a lot of gas money, and you won't be able to say for sure how much better, if any, your mpg will get.
There is a 00 or 01 running around dfw that tells people he's getting 26+ on the highway. :dunno: I want a GV just to have more top end, but I bought a bike instead.

all 99-03 super duty diesels have the 4r100
94-97 had the e4od
This is correct.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep - trying to get better fuel economy. I drive typically at 50-65 mph for 125 miles per day. Presently getting around 17.5 mpg, but that's with some hills and slower driving mixed in. I do NOT drag race, hill climb, mud bog, drive like a teenager, or otherwise have a heavy foot. I drive 70 mph on the freeway with the truck.

My co-worker has a Dodge 2005 Cummins with the Gear Vendor unit on it. He has kept meticulous, as in so detailed it hurts, records of all fuel, maintenance, etc.

His graphs of fuel economy data show clearly a 20%+ increase in fuel economy after the Gear Vendor install. GV advertises 10-15% economy. Other posts I've read claim minimum of 10%. I don't believe the "30% savings" claims. Seems like the unit does save on fuel.

I expect from 10% to 15% better mileage, and can pay the costs back, assuming $5.00/gallon, 10% savings, and 4000 miles per month, in: $2500 (cost of unit after business tax deduction)/ [(3000 miles/17.5mpg) * ($5.00 * 10%)] = 29 months.

At a 15% savings, that's two years payback.

And, all of the time I have the unit it keeps a fair residual value.

When (not 'IF', WHEN!) fuel goes to $10/gallon, I will at least 'save' 10-15% of my sanity!

Many thanks for the replies!

Flinch

·
Registered
181 Posts
have you talked to gearvendors? what total cost are you looking at for everything? i like the fact that you dont have to be over 2000 rpms at 70mph and you would have another gear between 3rd and 4th for towing somthing heavy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts