Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've got a early 99 with a long crank before start and a miss too....had a friend pull the injectors to get them checked and noticed a couple of the injectors had the top oring torn and/or falling apart....do you think this could be the cause of the hard start and miss??? he said the injectors that had the bad orings were stuck in there pretty good...most came out rather easily but those two took alittle more umph:dunno:

·
Registered
971 Posts
It could be that or it could be something like weak batteries. I had hard starts for first 3 months, thought it was normal then batteries went bad followed by alternator and starter. Get your batteries checked to make sure 1 isnt bad and the other is killing itself trying to start truck.

·
Beach Bum
2014 F250 CCSB 4wd
26,655 Posts
im gonna say no. but it prolly made a difference somewhere. i did my orings and they too were damaged but i saw no improvement.

is it hard when cold or hot or both or right after shutdown or like stated above, how slow are your cranks? batts and starter good? also need to check your icp readings to see if you are hitting the needed 500 psi to fire up the injectors from the hpop.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Let me add that if either of batteries, alternator or starter goes bad you will eventually have to replace or rebuild them because of the strain that gets put on them. I didnt believe it until my batteries went bad and 6 months later the alternator went bad and then about 2 months later my starter took a dump too. I would definitely start with the batteries now that I think about it because I took my truck to 2 different places and everyone wanted to replace fuel pump, injectors and rebuild top end. Eventually my batteries just wouldnt hold a charge and I replaced them and it was night and day.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'll have to put it all back together to get the vid,:( we did do a buzz test and they all seemed to pass??? maybe we wasted our time pulling the injectors,grrr....actually he pulled the valve covers to check the wiring harnesses and went ahead and pulled injectors...guess i'll send them to a local to have them checked????

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wow!!! i think i seen one of those on craigslist for 50 bucks the other day,hahaha....there is a local diesel mechanic that told me he could get them checked for me...may be worth the extra $$$ to get them checked before we put them back in..what do you think?? whats a good price for getting them checked out? i would hate to send them off to get them checked taking a chance of the guy saying they are bad when they are not....or do you know of a reliable company i can send them to??

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
pretty sure he said he did the cct....said something like 6 cylinders made a difference and two there wasnt much difference..does that make any since?

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Isn't there a smaller stand to test what they popping at

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a similar problem. My 2000 7.3 starts a little harder than normal. My main problem is the truck idles rough and misses under lite acceleration. It seems worse once it gets hot. It does not smoke or do anything else out of the ordinary. I just replaced batteries and alternator due to alternator failure. I also replaced the wiring harness located under valve covers (both sides). Injector 8 has been replaced twice within a two week time period per the advice of a local repair shop.The truck does not throw any codes but it does indicate that injector 8 is missing or lagging or something like that. I was just told about two return filters located inside the fuel tank that get plugged and then fuel will collect at injector 8 and cause the same problems i am experiencing. I plan to pull the tank and clean these filters in the next few days. Anybody have any additional advice I would sure appreciate the help. And hopefully my experience can help as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts