Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Early 99 computer upgrade and TS reburn

5K views 39 replies 12 participants last post by  southmike 
#1 ·
I got my new PMT1 computer. Does anyone know if Tony Wildman can reburn the new computer to work in my truck and also reburn my TS chip with his tunes?
I’m working nights this week so I can’t call Tony or Raul during normal business hours but I’m eager to get started on this upgrade.

#2 ·
Tony cant reburn the PMT1 pcm, but he caqn reburn your TS chip for the PCM. I would send him your TS chip with $150.00 and have him put his custom burns on it for the PMT1.

#4 ·
what PCM code is your new PCM?

#6 ·
If your PCM is already PMT1 , then you don't need it reflashed. You just need a chip for your PMT1 PCM.

#7 ·
Well that’s even better, I thought I’d have to get the new PMT1 computer flashed before it would work right in my early 99. So if the PMT1 is already good to go then I guess all I need to do is send my chip in to be reburned. I hate to do without the truck during that time, I wonder if I can drive it without the chip because of the singleshot injectors and which computer will work best with no chip? I need to tow a tractor Saturday.

#8 ·
I think the guys usually say it will idle like crap, the throttle will be touchy but at about 1600-1800rpm is smooths out and runs fine.

Wait until you tow the load to send the chip in.

#9 ·
Thanks a lot for the info.
I tow too sporadically to plan ahead more than a few days. I need to tow a tractor Saturday and probably two more times the next week and the wife’s talking about a camping trip the next weekend, crap I hope Tony can reburn the chip and turn it around pretty quick. I'm going to hate being stuck in the little Ford ranger for too long. Plus it don’t have a gooseneck ball :doh:

#10 ·
well he should be able to reburn it in one day..... the long part is shipping.... pay the extra to overnight it or something and it will be a quick turnaround....

#11 ·
Okay, got my new computer installed, she cranked right up and runs pretty smooth. I put my old XLE8 Swamps Diesel programmed chip in and to my surprise she still cranks and runs good, Drove it around the block and it shifts a lot better, only problem is the CEL keeps coming on with an IDM code. I took my chip out and I’m fixing to mail it to Tony Wildman for the reburn. Does anyone know if the IDM code will go away with the chip burned for the right computer or is there something else wrong?

#12 ·
I noticed today that the new computer without a chip seems much more powerful than the old computer without a chip. It definitely shifts smoother, almost too smooth. There were no check engine lights or any problems on my 20 mile drive today. I guess the xle8 chip was causing the IDM code. It does idle a little rough and high and when I stomp it she blows a big puff of smoke and rattles a lot more. Apparently I do not have a cruise light in the dash or it doesn’t work but I can live with that. I can’t wait to get the chip back from reburning and see how she works.

#13 ·
Pretty interesting about the cruise light. Dirk also did not have the cruise light after the PCM swap. I know mine and others that have the cruise light that started working. I wonder if it has anything to do with the date in which it was built/they started putting the light in the trucks.

Keep us posted on the progress. This is all very interesting stuff.

#15 ·
My truck was born on 11-20-98

On edit: I am a :tard:. I that is already in my sig......:tard::doh:

#19 ·
If I upgrade my PCM will TW reburn my chip to the new PCM for free, or will it cost me another $150? I have e-mailed him two times and left one phone message and still have not heard anything back. Is he always this hard to contact?

Thanks,
STROKER

#20 ·
If you bought your chip from him or one of his vendors, yes. If the chip was bought from someone else and then you had Tony reburn it, NO.

#22 ·
The Chip used to have TS programs and I had tony reburn it for me. now I would like to have him REreburn it, Will that cost me???

Thanks,
STROKER

#21 ·
I'm trying to understand this PCM thing a bit more...a little new to this.

What are the advantages of a newer PCM? And what is the difference betweeen the PMT 1s and 3s, etc I hear about? Whats a good price for a PCM? Ok to buy used ata junkyard or better with a new one?

I've got an early 3/98 build date with an XLE4 PCM currently.

Thanks!

#23 ·
From what I understand any computer from a 99.5-02 with a DPC 422 code on it has some more parameters inside that help the tranny shift better and perform better. I just happened to get a PMT1 and it worked right out of the box. Mine was $75 shipping and all from an online junk yard (car-parts.com) My original computer was XLE4.

The Chip used to have TS programs and I had tony reburn it for me. now I would like to have him REreburn it, Will that cost me???

Thanks,
STROKER
IF I understand right if you bought the chip new from Tony he will reburn it for free when you change stuff. IF you bought it somewhere else and paid him $150 to reburn it then you’ll have to pay again if you want it done again.

#26 ·
Man I can't wait to get a later PCM on my truck. I'm curious to see what the difference will be for me. I think my build date is 6/98. Will any later PCM that was for an auto work on my handshaker model?

Chris

#27 ·
I think the main reason for the new PCM is for the auto shifting characteristics, your 6 speed may not gain much by it. But I can definitely tell a big power difference from my old computer without the chip and my new computer without the chip. Can’t wait for the new chip to come in so I can put it in the new computer and see how she works then.

#28 ·
An auto PCM can be programmed for a manual but not the other way around. IIRC, there is hardware differenced inside.

#29 ·
My justification for getting a newer PCM was the increase in power, however slight, and the CC light on the dash. I'm having a hard time understanding this:

The 99-00 Superduties were rated at 235/500 while the later 7.3s were rated at 250 auto/275 manual. Now there were no changes in the configuration in the 99.5-2003 trucks except for the PMRs. So how was the power increased? Better factory PCM tunes? If so, I'd like to get the latest PCM tune for the handshaker 7.3s that I can get my hands on.

Chris

#30 ·
Actually my valve cover says 250, I don't pay much attention to factory HP ratings.

According to your sig the highest setting on your chip is a 80e setting. Getting a performance setting will make lots more difference than just about any other mod.

#31 ·
Yeah my valve cover says 250 as well, but most of what I've read on the 7.3s says they were rated at 235/500 from early '99-00. Yeah the 80e is the highest setting I'm running now. Don't get me wrong, I love the extra power increase. I'm planning on getting the 120 and/or 140 along with a good towing tune after I get bigger oil and the D66 so Jody can tune for all of that instead of me sending it back after each big mod that I do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.