1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I'm pretty sure the bolt patern isn't the same. You already have the wicked wheel being that the truck is an e99. That usually helps with surge but it's hard to say if you are actually having surge without a video.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mentioned in that other thread of my actual problem that actually, this truck does not have a wicked wheel. A few years ago the turbo cartridge? bearing assy or what have you was replaced, and I'm sure at that point the wicked wheel was replaced by a standard wheel. I did not know much then, but I'm 100% sure that is the case know. I wish I could do a video, but as much as Ive tried I cannot get one of the quality required.

Besides a wicked wheel, what other reasons are there that early 99's and older do not seem to have the surge issue? Maybe it's something else that's been done. I'm pretty much assuming now that it is surge. I've done a lot of trial testing and testing for boost leaks, belt pullys, etc. and the timing of the noise is just yelling surge to me.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Surge usually doesn't happen at a shift, flutter does but they are 2 different things.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What would you describe as flutter then?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Sounds like the turbo sputters when it shifts.

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
The late 99 and up turbos are larger and have a larger comp housing and outlet. And they also have 5 bolts holding it together. The e99 turbos only have 4 bolts and they are smaller.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
God damn early 99 bull**** :doh:

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
Ats housings are supposed to stop surge. But Ats housing's aren't what they are cracked up to be, I haven't heard all that great things about them.

Just up grade to a d66 turbo and you will be happy. I am happy with mine. I have no surge from mine. What does your comp wheel look like? Good condition?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, the compressor wheel is still in very good shape, but like i said, it is a standard (late99+) wheel, not the wicked/x wheel that it should be. Could this be some of the issues with the smaller turbo and smaller intake runners? Ive done much research on the D66, what is it about them that eleminates surge?

I dont if this is a problem ive always had. Just recently this spring i opened it up with the 6637 and chipped it with a tw, but i did notice it some before the chip.

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
Adding a chip and airflow will increase the potential for surge. I don't know what exactly makes mine not surge, but a d66 has a aniti surge/wicked wheel on it. You could try the simple approach and replace your comp wheel and see if that cures it. The smaller intakes on the heads don't cause the surge. Surge is caused by the Turbo itself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts