Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1995 F250 that needs a transmission fluid change. I went to FORD and they gave me Marcon V but reading some other threads people are saying Marcon V is only for 1997 and up and that it could cause internal damage. Im a little confused, hoping you guys could help.

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
MerconV is "supposed to replace Mercon/DexIII. Use DexIII. Just get it from an auto store.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could I run into issues if the previous owner used Marcon v and I start using dexIII?

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
No. I would still get as much MercV out as I could.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Regular Mercon is what your rig takes. Cheaper too. Mercon V is all synthetic.

·
Registered
205 Posts
whats the problem with running merc V?

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
Honestly, I guess nothing really, BUT it was originally Mercon, so that's what I'd stick with. A full synthetic like those others is better than MercV though.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
I'd go full synthetic 100%

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Kind of along the lines but sorry to hijack.

I've got academy of fluid and a filter. Is it as easy as dropping the pan swapping the filter and refilling? What about the fluid in the converter?

This is my first auto but would like to get it done sooner than later with 267k miles on her. I've been "told " it was rebuilt but have no proof

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
That won't get all the fluid

I made my Samsung SGH-I997 send this.

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
I think napa and car quest still sell their house brand dex/merc/III . That's what I used last time I worked on my tranny.

·
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!
6,024 Posts
There should be a drain plug on the TC which will allow you to get much more out.

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
Fill the pan and crank up the truck. Do that and check the level till you fill it

I made my Samsung SGH-I997 send this.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts