Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
3,006 Posts
On an E4OD its actually called the "range selector". Its only function is to enable or disable the start circuit. It has abosulutly nothing to do with the operation of the transmission. Infact if you jump the 2 wires in the trans harness from the range selector the truck will start in any gear.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 while my wife is yelling at me for being on my phone...

·
Registered
89 Posts
On an E4OD its actually called the "range selector". Its only function is to enable or disable the start circuit. It has abosulutly nothing to do with the operation of the transmission. Infact if you jump the 2 wires in the trans harness from the range selector the truck will start in any gear.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 while my wife is yelling at me for being on my phone...
Stroked,
Although you are correct that you can start the vehicle if you jump the wires, your statement that this is "basically" it's only function is incorrect. Speaking as someone who's been a Ford Tech and went through diagnostic procedures, when you have certain codes and driveability issues, they do list this as something to diagnose and/or check.

Also, there are approximately 6 or 8 wires coming out of the connector (I think if memory serves me correctly now) and as such, what would the other 4-6 wires be for if only 2 were needed for what you're talking about?

My point is: there is more to the switch than just essentially being an "ignition lockout" switch to prevent the vehicle from starting.

It actually is intended to specify which gear the transmission is in. Why? I don't know other than all the fun electronics going on inside the vechicle but the switch has multiple functions according to the diagnostic service manual.

I'm basing this on my experience as a tech and if yours is different, please share and correct where I am misinterpreting the Ford diagnostic manual.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was having goofy tranny issues with my '96, although they weren't as severe as yours but as strange as it sounds it was all related to a burned out 3rd brake light.

I know it sounds crazy. When I was searching the various forums last year for possible solutions to my shifting issues, I spotted this fix. I wasn't even aware that my light was out. When I replaced the bulb, I just shook my head thinking that there was no way this was going to matter.

I'll be dipped in... it worked.

Don't know why or how. Don't care.

Anyway, easy to check and cheap to fix. Your results may vary

Tom
What specific goofy issues were you experiencing due to the 3rd brake light being burnt out?

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.