Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
I have a 96 OBS with the wonderful E4OD tranny. I am having two problems; :confused:

As the truck shifts from 2 to 3 , it seems like it half shifts and then hits third. The truck still feels like its in a gear (cant tell if the clutches are slipping) in the half shift... any thoughts?

From what Ive read this tranny has a "limp" mode. I have had times when my tranny goes into limp but I dont get any codes. The shift points drop way low and it just bogs, but never left me stranded. Now it is popping out of gear after going 60 mph for a while, but then if I shift it to neutral and back to drive a couple times it drops back in.

I bought the truck used but I'm not sure if its the original tranny. The torque converter did not have the drain plug and looked fresh. 175K on the truck. I changed the fluid and I figured it will get better or worse, but nothing changed with the issues I've been having. I did notice the shifter/electrical connector at the tyranny was recently replaced. Probably not OEM.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Sounds like typical e4OD shift strategy on stock programming to me. These trannies naturally short shift and lock their tc's up a lot.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Today she slipped out of overdrive and into what seemed like a slipping 3rd. The o/d light sometimes comes on and sometimes does not. A couple drops into neutral and she drops back into O/D. There have been times when shes drops totally out of gear, I have pulled over, shut down the truck, and unplugged the connector at the shift linkage and plugged it back in and shes fine. I have totally cleaned the connector, so it should be making good contact. I also noticed my speedo bouncing a fine amount, maybe a couple miles an hour. I cant imagine that would be enough to cause this. My big concern id for my rear diff. She shifts hard a lot.

I Have a few other things that may be part of the problem. don't know.

I have noticed that on the cold mornings now I don't get a wait to start light. I already disconnected the fuel bowl heater and my fuse is good. Once it warms up the wait to start light starts working. PCM?

Uggh........

Ah, in that case...

Since the speedo is bouncing, seems like VSS. Maybe even the range selector is out of whack??

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
seems like the shifter adjustment might be off ^

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.