Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys got a issue with my trannie that NOOO one can figure out, maybe someone here can help. When I have my chip in (TS with BDP burns) for some reason it "holds" the shift into OD, I can run the rpms up to 3000 and nothing, BUT if you just bearly lift off the pedal then it will shift??? and it is even worse if I have a trailer hooked up, now here latley it seems to be doing it even without the chip in, were as before without the chip it would shift thru the gears just fine. Now for a little background this stated about 2 yrs ago after installing stage I inj. the chip was sent back for reburning and the problem was there, fast forward to today 3 or 4 different brands of chips with several different burns on them (all from well known programers) 2 complete rebuilds and issue has been there with all the chips / burns and even after 2 rebuilds from 2 different builders, new cps, tps, pedal, neutral saftey switch. The current shop who did the last rebuild is dead set on finding the problem just cant afford to let him have the truck all the time, Im thinking its something eletrical someware seeing how issue was there before and after rebuilds any ideas? Thanks

·
Diesel Freak
713 Posts
Mine is doing the same thing

·
...kind of looks homeless
2,079 Posts
What's the status of your transmission? Stock valve body? Have any of the shops run transmission pressure tests?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Last rebuild was done with heaver clutches, extra plan. gears, billit input / output shafts etc, right now have a BTS valve body, psi. test can back with in specs.

·
2,079 Posts
Oh, wow. That sounds pretty solid to me. Haha. Maybe you should open a line with Brian at BTS and see what he his thoughts are about it?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:dunno: I have tried I know the man is a very popular / busy man, but has not returned any of my calls:confused:

·
2,079 Posts
Hmmm. I've never heard anything about his customer service. Hopefully he does, I would expect him to have the beginnings of an answer

·
BANNED by Kris
6,317 Posts
It kinda sounds like the PCM is getting bad speed signal (doesn't know how fast it's going). The speedo works fine?

·
2,079 Posts
Good point. Check the VSS in the diff. If that's good check the adjustment on your MLPS. You said you replaced the Neutral Safety Switch. I'm assuming you mean the MLPS. If those are out of adjustment the truck can do funny things

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Speedo works fine, shop pulled VSS from diff. said it looked fine even replaced the plug with a new one "just to make sure" MLPS sorry not sure what that one is:(, but yes the black "gear selector" on the drivers side of trannie that the cable from gear shift attaches to, how do I know if its adjusted right? what else could casue a bad signal to the PCM, like I said its just the shift into OD thats "holding" Im almost ready to just throw my hands up and blow it up:dunno: Thanks for all the help / suggestions so far :)

·
2,079 Posts
That gear selector on the tranny is the MLPS (Manual Lever Position Sensor). There is an alignment mark, or range rather, on the sensor and a corresponding alignment mark on the case. I was just saying to check it since it has been replaced. It probably isn't your issue, but things can get wonky if it's out of alignment.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok sorry did not get back sooner, alignment marks are on, Im still thinking its got to be something eletrical:dunno:, as the problem has been there before and after two rebuilds by two different shops, any ideas on what else eletrical I could check? I even back up 2 yrs ago when it started, :(YES!! I have been chaseing it that long:(, I had a TW chip (worked great) I installed NEW stage 1's from full force, sent the chip back to be reburned and have been fighting it ever sense, 3 different brands of chip with at least 3-4 different burns from different well know programers on of which even reburned it and lowerd the shift points:dunno: and it still does it, now it is doing it with out!! the chip installed....thanks for all the advice and suggestions sooner or later I(WE) mite find it

·
2,079 Posts
Well, shoot. I think I'm about tapped out. I'm stumped. Now I'm just curious to see what you find. How much literature do you have on the E4OD? I have quite a bit saved on my computer at home. If you want I can email it to you in the next couple of days?

·
BANNED by Kris
6,317 Posts
With every rebuild do you always get the same tranny back or do they install one off the shelf?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
marine5811 I have some, but anything you would be willing to share would be great thanks

Bigfuel each rebuild was done with same one

·
2,079 Posts
sure man. pm me your email address

1 - 16 of 16 Posts