Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck is a 1995 and my synchronizers are going out. I am wondering if you can take them out and run with out them. It is a E4OD manual, and if I can't run without them how much does it cost for new ones? Also can you drop the trans without pulling the engine?

·
...kind of looks homeless
2,079 Posts
What do you mean by E4OD manual? I can't tell if you mean E4OD (automatic) or zf5 (5 speed)

·
...kind of looks homeless
2,079 Posts
Ok, that's the zf5. The E4OD is the automatic, totally different transmissions. Not bustin your balls, just saying people will be confused by E4OD manual. I, myself, am not sure about your problem, but I'll head into the chat and try to send some more knowledgable guys in your direction.

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
Yes, you can drop the tranny without pulling the engine. What exactly is happening, that you'd want to remove the synchronizers?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I bought it reverse was going out. It still works but the gears grind when I shift into reserse and it sometimes pops out of gear. I want to take out the synchronizers because I like to float gears. I thought floating gears will damage synchronizers.

·
BANNED by Kris
6,317 Posts
Madpogue would probably know better then me but floating the gears won't mess with the syncros. With the little we know so far I'd swing the problem back at the clutch not being good. Maybe warped flywheel or worn throw out bearing or bad slave cylinder not disengauging the clutch fully.

·
Electrical Ogre
12,276 Posts
If the vehicle is at a dead stop and you shift to reverse and get grinding, that would be an issue of the clutch not fully releasing.

Removing the syncros would be ill advised. Removing them would mess with the spacing of gears and shift collars on the shaft. If you're going to rip it apart, just install new ones.

·
spool up that turbo!!
2,008 Posts
Floating gears can ruin synchros if not done right but if done correctly it shouldn't hurt them at all

iPhone auto correcting incorrectly like a boss

·
Registered
61 Posts
Bad reverse is common to ZF
You will need more than just synchro rings if the reverse is too buggered

Needed for poor reverse engagement or pop-out:
Reverse gear[the gear is fine, it's the teeth on it that mesh with the fifth-reverse sliding sleeve]
Fifth-Reverse Synchro/Slider Assembly

·
spool up that turbo!!
2,008 Posts
Now will the transmission clunk when taking off in reverse when it's bad? I have a clunk and can't figure out where it is new u joint strap kits carrier bearing but still makes the damn noise

·
Former OBSer
5,706 Posts
Mine clunked bad going into reverse. I believe reverse isn't synchroed anyway.
My problem was solved with the pedal rod end assembly repair bearing dohicky.

·
BANNED by Kris
6,317 Posts
Forgot about the clutch pedal pivot going out. Still think that it's a clutch not disengauging properly.

·
Former OBSer
5,706 Posts
ya thats the problem with the clutch pedal dohicky is it limits the rod travel and only getting partial disengagement of the clutch.

·
spool up that turbo!!
2,008 Posts
Well it sounds like a driveline clunk

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
I thought floating gears will damage synchronizers.
yes.. it absolutely will.

Madpogue would probably know better then me but floating the gears won't mess with the syncros.
Yes it will.

Floating gears can ruin synchros if not done right but if done correctly it shouldn't hurt them at all

These aren't tractor trailers.. you cant float them.

Our medium duty trucks do not have the same synchros as big rigs. You will tear your synchros up trying to float them. They are cut differently, weighted differently, made of different materials etc. Tractor trailer trannies are made to float... you aren't supposed to use the clutch except to get out of neutral. In our medium duty's, you are supposed to use the clutch. So while it might be cool to show off for friends, it will tear the **** out of your synchros.

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
^^^^^^^ Great explanation.

This sounds more like it _could_ be a clutch disengagement issue, anyway. Something "upstream" of the clutch - pedal box bushings, bushing at the eyelet/pushrod, weak hydraulics. That's where I'd start looking, before talking surgery.

·
spool up that turbo!!
2,008 Posts
Oh Lordy Lordy Lordy kids these days all my trucks get the gears floated never had a problem one with any of them think about it you float gears in a synchronized transmission your matching the gears instead of "forcing" the synchros to match gears so as long as you do it correctly no harm no foul

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Oh Lordy Lordy Lordy kids these days all my trucks get the gears floated never had a problem one with any of them think about it you float gears in a synchronized transmission your matching the gears instead of "forcing" the synchros to match gears so as long as you do it correctly no harm no foul

Oh Lordy Lordy Lordy... kids these days with daddies money that think they know something about trucks.

Stolen from a few truck drivers on the 'web:

its hard on any syncronized tranny, doesnt matter if its a pickup tranny or a 7 speed fuller with syncros........ every time you float between gears your syncro's haave to make up the speed difference in the input/motor not big straight cut gears... the syncro disks are designed for a certin service life doing normal clutch shifts...so you floating and a syncro that is meant for a 100,000 mile service life just got cut in half because you are making them work twice as hard each shift.............. i dont care how good you are and how smooth it is...:rantoff all i know is if i caught you floating gears in my truck you would be paying for a set of syncros and bearings LOL

Floating gears in a tranny with synchros is very very bad. In a big truck box with straight cut gears, no big deal, they shift better that way, but on a synchro box, you have soft metal intermediat gear rings that are spring loaded that are there to wiggle the thing into gear with no load on the shaft ( clutch in) if you try to float the things, you are putting an extreme load on those soft rings due to the input shaft still being attached to the engine. You will eventually blow the synchros out completely.
Double clutching on the other hand will not harm a thing.

he really big truck can do it, twin counter shaft transmissions or pretty much any tractor transmission that is rated over ~900ftlbs is a twin counter shaft trans, and inside those transmission s they have sliding clutches to engage the gears and the driver becomes the synchronizer. so there is no need for a clutch you just slide it into another gear slowly when the engine rpms match the speed in the gear you choose to be in.

As I previously stated, the gear are cut totally different between a pickup truck and a tractor trailer. not to mention, our pickups have SYNCHRONIZERS so we dont HAVE to float. Tractor trailers have no synchros.

·
spool up that turbo!!
2,008 Posts
You believe everything you read on the Internet there dill bag? I'm speaking from experience never owned an automatic and never rebuilt a manual always gets floated believe what you will plus my truck saw a way worse life before I picked it up (without daddy's money) I work my 14-16 hours a day just like everybody else btw

1 - 20 of 30 Posts