Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after troubleshooting I think I have narrowed down the coolant loss and white smoke on cold start to the EGR cooler.

Here's what I did. Plumbed in a pressure guage to the rad degass hose. Ran the truck to normal temps and then WOT up the steepest hill near by. No change in pressure stays around 6-8PSI the whole time. Van doesn't overheat, no signs of puking around the DEGAS bottle. So safe to say the heads aren't the cause???

The white smoke I've almost eliminated by release the coolant pressure when I stop for a long time. Pop hood open Degas cap and then I have no white smoke when starting the next morning.

Also no obvious sign of coolant loss, but it can eat through 4L in a tank of diesel. However with my release pressure trick I've only went down 1/2 of coolant this tank.

Funny thing is my oil/coolant deltas are all 15F or less... the highest it ever went was 18F and that was after a hill climb on the downslope with the cooling fan on (Hauling 7000lbs). The coolant temp dropped faster than the oil.

So having said all that, EGR cooler leaking? If so I plan to do oil cooler and an EGR delete. Van could use less heat in the cooling system

Thanks

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Interesting you are showing most of the signs of a blown egr cooler all right but not all.
Before tearing things down do one more test. Drive the truck with all fuids topped up, when you get home at night park the truck nose down if possible or jack up the rear end of the truck as far as possible and block it up [block front wheels both sides of tire] so it can't roll forward or back on ya. leave the cap on in the morning pull the egr valve and look in the bottom of the hole if coolant is present or a black gooey substance is present the the cooler is shot.

With your deltas high you probably have restiction in the oil cooler and possibly in the radiator and heater core as well. Oil cooler restriction will useually cause the egr cooler to fail from lack of enough coolant passing thru it.
While your at it check your a/c condensor; cac and radiator for bent over fins dirt and other obstruction of air flow.

You are staying just below a critical heat exchange threshold so something is affecting the coolant heat exchange process.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts