Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
i heard it flows a hell of alot more. As far as power though i didnt hear anything, actually i havent really spoken to anyone about it that way either. But im sure with all the extra flow and cooling must come some power.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Intercoolers don't add power to a diesel. They reduce EGTs.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
You will see nothing with a 6.0 IC... Maybe 100 drop in MAX egt's when towing. Little if anything empty. Waste of money IMHO...

·
Registered
497 Posts
100* drop in egts for $150 or so, isnt a big waste of money if u think about it.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I did the mod and they way I saw it was $100 for the 6.0 + $30 in boots then sold stock one for $120 to someone who was intending to put it on a non intercooled OBS. I spent $10, and lowered my EGTS under high load by 100deg +/-. I don't see where I went wrong :dunno:

·
Registered
497 Posts
I did the mod and they way I saw it was $100 for the 6.0 + $30 in boots then sold stock one for $120 to someone who was intending to put it on a non intercooled OBS. I spent $10, and lowered my EGTS under high load by 100deg +/-. I don't see where I went wrong :dunno:
I did the same exact thing Dab. for 100* drop it isnt a waste of money. now to buy a bigger I/C for 1100-1300 for only 200-250* drop is ALOT of money for that kind of drop compared to the 100* drop. but to each their own

·
PMR = JUNK
11,244 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Mine was basically free.. Got it off Ebay for $100, then put my old 7.3 intercooler back on ebay and it sold for $100 :dunno: Well worth it to me to have my egt's drop 100-150*

·
Registered
370 Posts
But cooler air into the engine should increase power right?
On turbocharged engines lowering the EGT is what enables you to add more fuel which in turn makes more power.

Totally an analogy but maybe it will help:
80% Injector duty cycle = 1300 degrees EGT @ WOT w/stock intercooler 300hp
90% Injector duty cycle = 1300 degrees EGT @ WOT w/larger intercooler 340hp
The cooler charge air enabled 10% more IDC to be added which in turn created power but kept EGTs in check.

You get the idea I hope.

·
Registered
959 Posts
But cooler air into the engine should increase power right?
No. In order to make more power you have to add more fuel. In a gas application you have to run a near perfect stoich. ratio or it will run real doggy and rich or lean and melt pistons. So if you add cooler air you have to add more fuel to get the ratio correct and then it will make more power.

In a diesel however the injectors inject how ever much fuel the PCM tells them to. The temperature of the intake isn't going to make them inject any more fuel. A diesel doesn' thave to run in a perfect stoich. ratio and actually runs very lean when compared to a gas engine except for maybe when you see them rolling tons of black smoke. The leaner a diesel runs the cooler it runs.

So if you reduce your intake temps you may be adding some oxygen to the mix but you aren't adding fuel so unless it's overfueled to begin with the added air is just going to cool it more.

Something else to consider. Due to the condensing effect that cooling the air has if you have a nonwastegated truck such as the '94-97s and you add a cooler the turbo is still moving the same amount of air but because it is cooler the boost pressure will drop as well. So you actually aren't even getting more air in. You are merely getting cooler air in. And for approximately every degree cooler the intake charge is the exhaust will be one degree cooler as well. Therefore a 100° drop in intake will equal about a 100° drop in EGTs. However if you have a wastegated turbo that say maintains 25 psi of boost and has the capabilities of making more but doesn't because the waste gate opens when you add an intercooler it still has the condensing effects so it will reduce the boost pressure however the waste gate will close some and send more exhaust through the turbo so that it spins faster and maintains the same 25 psi of boost. So in this case you will have more O² getting to the cylenders.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Is it a direct fit when puttin a 6.0 IC in a 99-03 7.3?

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
No, you have to get longer boots and or cut and lengthen the IC tubes. On some trucks you have to lower or move the tranny cooler too.

·
Registered
555 Posts
where can you get longer boots? I see Dieselsite has them but they are 130 bucks, and seem to be overkill to be safe against oil and I have the CCV mod, so I'm good with regular old silicone boots!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Thanks for the link! BTW my plans are pretty much to follow the exact route you have for my truck, what kind of power are you puttuing out, if you know? Are you happy? What would you do diff. and what order if you were piecing together?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
I would place him right at 400-420 with a hot tune, but with his PMR's I bet Jody has him turned down to 380ish....

I dont think you have dynoed have you DD?

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have not been on a dyno yet. I was gonna do it this week until my trans began acting up.. I am gonna have a BTS in there shortly.. However I know of two people who have the exact setup as I do and have Dyno'ed around 425HP.. Jody at DP-Tuner also estimated that I would be in the 420 range.

I really like my truck and how it drives. It is really fun.. I have mine about as far as I think I can go right now with it having PMR's. I would recommend that you do things in a different order then I did. I would do things in this order if I had to do it again.

1. Guages/4" exhaust/intake
2. Tuner (I went with Dp Tuner) probably a valve body for the trans
3. Regulated Return and fuel system
4. Turbo
5. injectors
6. Big oil

·
Registered
555 Posts
I thought the 400-420 range was safe w/ PMR's? Is that pushing it?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts