Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I did some searching around but didn't fond exactly what I was looking for so maybe someone can help or point me in the right direction.
I have access to a dynojet dyno so I figured I would get sort of a baseline power/torque number before I did any more mods. What I was wandering is,
1. What gear would I run in?
2. How would I hold it in gear?
3. Does the converter need to be locked or unlocked?

Basically, what is the procedure for running one of these on the dyno? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
It needs to be 5th gear, converter locked, you're going to have a heck of a time doing this stock. It will basically feel like it's shifting into 4th gear for you. Going to be pretty hard to do without a tune to lock the converter. They actually make dyno tunes, where they will shift through the low gears really quick.

The trans is going to go 1,2,3,5,6. So 5th is what you want, but again, it will feel like the 4th gear shift, but it's 5th gear. You'll probably have to roll into it gently, otherwise you're going to be downshifting and spiking the dyno.

Stockers are usually around 250-270hp at the wheels.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. So, 5th gear...converter locked. We have an hp tuners program we use at work; we were going to see if we could lock the converter and hold the gear with that. Thanks for the info.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts