Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my truck on a dyno. Stock setting (pre TN BB install) was 200HP at the wheels. Post TN BB install it dropped to 160HP:confused: It did not seem to want to make any boost, only hit 16PSI, compared to 20+ prior to turbo install. We checked for leaks in up pipes and turbo etc, but none noted? Then DP 80e tune pre TN BB install hit 260HP and only 270 after install?? Boost was 25+ before and only 22 after. Same results with 120r tune. I did note that EGT was only getting to 1100 after turbo install compared to hitting 1300 before. Driving truck on the road, really notice the difference after turbo install, really spools quick and no problems lighting the rear tyres :D

Questions; How much HP do you loose from engine to wheels, stock is stated as 235HP? On the dyno runs after turbo install I noticed truck climbing up onto front roller, will this impact results? Is it normal to see drop in boost after installing larger turbo (but it moves more air)?:dunno:

By the way, it is an awesome sound compared to stock, sorta howls until it hits around 6-7psi boost and then the whistle is jet like. My ears are still ringing from the dyno runs. :woot:

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
I thought you lose like 15%??

Is that right guys?

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
Finally got my truck on a dyno. Stock setting (pre TN BB install) was 200HP at the wheels. Post TN BB install it dropped to 160HP:confused: It did not seem to want to make any boost, only hit 16PSI, compared to 20+ prior to turbo install. We checked for leaks in up pipes and turbo etc, but none noted? Then DP 80e tune pre TN BB install hit 260HP and only 270 after install?? Boost was 25+ before and only 22 after. Same results with 120r tune. I did note that EGT was only getting to 1100 after turbo install compared to hitting 1300 before. Driving truck on the road, really notice the difference after turbo install, really spools quick and no problems lighting the rear tyres :D

Questions; How much HP do you loose from engine to wheels, stock is stated as 235HP? On the dyno runs after turbo install I noticed truck climbing up onto front roller, will this impact results? Is it normal to see drop in boost after installing larger turbo (but it moves more air)?:dunno:

By the way, it is an awesome sound compared to stock, sorta howls until it hits around 6-7psi boost and then the whistle is jet like. My ears are still ringing from the dyno runs. :woot:
I think for our trucks with so much more drivetrain and weight in it vs what most cars have it is closer to 20-25% loss.

I don't have a lot of experience with turbo changes on these trucks as I do the Cummins. It seems the bigger and better the turbo is the better it does with more fuel. With stock fueling or a mild fueling addition they seem to produce a little less horsepower, but they give you the big numbers you're looking for with more fuel that a stock turbo can't. You will get more useable boost rather than hot air as well, hence the lower egt's you noticed.

On my 03 ram I put a PPE tuner on and did 379hp/719tq to the wheels with it by itself using a Silver Bullet 66 turbo, which is a pretty good size over the stock hx35. From what I heard I should have done maybe 10 or so more than that had I been using a stock charger. But, I turned the tst box on which is pretty aggressive I did almost 526hp/996tq with 1200* egt's. Stock turbo wouldn't have been able to do that!

Others will chime in...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts