Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I havent been on the ORG much lately...college sure takes up a lot of my time, but I am in need of some advice...

My FICM voltage has been slowly dropping off over the past month.

Here are my current readings via my Insight CTS:

KOEO: 47.5 - 48.0
During Cranking: 44.0 - 45.0
While Running Cold: 40.0 - 42.0
While Running Cold @ 2,000RPM: 44.5 - 45.0
While Running @ Operating Temp @ Idle: 47.0 - 48.5
While Running @ Operating Temp @ 2000RPM: 47.0 - 48.5

Based off of A LOT of reading on the ORG I have come to believe that the FICM should be fixed/replaced if voltage ever drops under 45.0 at any time. I have not yet noticed any direct effects of the low voltage, it starts fine hot and cold and idles just like it always has, nice and smooth, but I do know that if I don't get this fixed soon it will start to get worse and potentially start taking out injectors.

It seems the general consensus on the ORG is to send the FICM to Ed @ FICMRepair.com. I have read numerous reviews on how great his work is as well as excellent customer service and super fast turn around time. My main question is should I get the FICM tuned while its in for repair and if I do decide to tune it which tune should I get :dunno:

-PHP Eco
-PHP Atlas 40
-PHP Atlas 80
-PHP Hercules

My struck is studded, EGR Delete, and other bullet proof parts, so I'm not too concerned about tearing anything up. Of course I'm STRONGLY leaking towards the hercules tune, hell, their all the same price so why not go big or go home? Before I jump the gun, I would like some first hand experience with FICM tunes you guys have ran or are running. The choice seems obvious to me, get the Hercules, but what consequences could I see in the future from this tune if any?

Thanks,
-Mike

·
Premium Member
20,351 Posts
You don't tow IIRC... right?

If not then I would get the Hercules tune... I would like to, but I tow 10k sometimes and people that have tried to even with the 80 tune noticed the EGT's get WAY hot too quickly on anything more then the Atlas 40:thumb:

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Eli, where have you been hiding... :poke:

No, I don't tow at all. I do haul some weight in the bed every now and then, never more than 2-3 thousand pounds though, and thats rare.

SO their are no reasons to not get the Hercules say versus the Atlas 80 unless you tow a lot?

I just don't want to blow anything up.

·
Administrator
30,457 Posts
have Ed fix your ficm and get the php tuner so you can change between any of those as you please

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
have Ed fix your ficm and get the php tuner so you can change between any of those as you please
How much does the actual tuner cost from PHP. Where can I find more information about it?
Thanks.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
20,351 Posts
The Gryphon tuner is $369...

The single tune is $150.

Power Hungry Performance - Products (Products)

Hiding... I have been working 70 hours a week since the last time we talked bud:thud:

I looked at the taken apart 03 turbo last night and actually thought of you and felt bad... sorry im delaying but I have been dead running on 4-5 hrs of sleep since the end of july.
Im gonna get er done though and If all goes well I will have the stock 03 turbo up for sale:D

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Gryphon tuner is $369...

The single tune is $150.

Power Hungry Performance - Products (Products)

Hiding... I have been working 70 hours a week since the last time we talked bud:thud:

I looked at the taken apart 03 turbo last night and actually thought of you and felt bad... sorry im delaying but I have been dead running on 4-5 hrs of sleep since the end of july.
Im gonna get er done though and If all goes well I will have the stock 03 turbo up for sale:D
I guess its a better investment to have Ed repair my FICM and then save up for the Gryphon tuner so I can try out all the tunes and if I ever did have to tow a big load I could just re-flash and be on the road without worrying about EGTs.

Shhhhhh about that turbo :punish2: Don't let anyone know you have it...

No hurry though because I don't really want to spend the money on it right now but please let me know when its done!

·
Premium Member
20,351 Posts
Youll be the first in line either way bud:thumb:

But I have a feeling it will be pretty soon as I am getting money together for my build that I am planning on doing in Oct:woot

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Youll be the first in line either way bud:thumb:

But I have a feeling it will be pretty soon as I am getting money together for my build that I am planning on doing in Oct:woot
Nice! What kind of build are you doing? Some kind of crazy 700hp build??

Do you have a thread on it yet? I'd like to follow it..

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
Take it one step at a time, two options for your voltage issue:
-Have it repaired by FICMrepair.com, or buy a reman and have the same circuitry that is bound to fail again.
-Buy the BPD powerboard and heat sink, rebuild it yourself, and have the upgraded unit.

As for tuning, I'd be cautious on how the higher HP FICM files on the market will match up with your SCT files. All the tuners I have talked to have told me that the lower HP files are yeilding better results when matched with SCT programming. Also regardless of which file you select, you will only see a 20-30RWHP gain once matched to SCT programming as most of the tuning cancels out. What this leave for options:

-Single time addition of tuning of $150 for a PHP file (either by repair activity or PHP's loaner).
-Using PHPs tuner (which includes limited monitoring, if you don't already have a monitor) for $400 for having all 4 files offered, along with stock.
-Using IDPs tuner (which is a tuner only) for $300 having only one file that can be written to the truck. (There are a few options, but Eric's latest is a mild/hyrbid file (somewhere between where the Economy and Atlas40 files are from PHP) and no ability to return to stock.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Take it one step at a time, two options for your voltage issue:
-Have it repaired by FICMrepair.com, or buy a reman and have the same circuitry that is bound to fail again.
-Buy the BPD powerboard and heat sink, rebuild it yourself, and have the upgraded unit.

As for tuning, I'd be cautious on how the higher HP FICM files on the market will match up with your SCT files. All the tuners I have talked to have told me that the lower HP files are yeilding better results when matched with SCT programming. Also regardless of which file you select, you will only see a 20-30RWHP gain once matched to SCT programming as most of the tuning cancels out. What this leave for options:

-Single time addition of tuning of $150 for a PHP file (either by repair activity or PHP's loaner).
-Using PHPs tuner (which includes limited monitoring, if you don't already have a monitor) for $400 for having all 4 files offered, along with stock.
-Using IDPs tuner (which is a tuner only) for $300 having only one file that can be written to the truck. (There are a few options, but Eric's latest is a mild/hyrbid file (somewhere between where the Economy and Atlas40 files are from PHP) and no ability to return to stock.
Great post there Ben, thats a lot to think about. I know that you know your chit when it comes to this stuff so if you were in my situation what would you do?

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
Great post there Ben, thats a lot to think about. I know that you know your chit when it comes to this stuff so if you were in my situation what would you do?

If you can afford the BPD power shell, that's what I would do for your voltage issue. The 4ph is all you need, but won't allow for the 53v or 58v upgrades (which I feel offer zero benefit on that unit). The 6ph will allow for additional redundancy and the increased voltage.

If you can't afford that, send it to FICMrepair.com have it repaired and tuned at the level you want. (out of PHPs files - which they use, I'd run the Atlas40 on a SRW with 3.73s)

For tuning, I'd run either the Atlas40 or Economy(+25RWHP) from PHP. Again based on your budget, their tuner $400 and you have the ability to test and try all 4 of these offerings. (You have that option with their loaner, you find out which one your truck runs best with, and send it back).

I'm going with IDPs FICM tuner this winter, running either his mild or mild/hybrid file and sacrificing the ability to return this stock. Reason for this is I'm making preparations to upgrade the turbo on my build, and that will offset the additional fueling of that file for very heavy towing at altitude.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ben...

Being on a college budget and all I think I'm just going to send it to FICMRepair.com and have him fix it and put a tune on it. Still not sure if I want to go with the Atlas 40 or Hercules. You said that the higher HP tunes don't match up well with the SCT tunes, what exactly is the difference between the Atlas 40 and the Hercules tune? I don't really know how the FICM tunes work (what they control), FICMRepairs website doesn't say much regarding what parameters are actually changed.

I am not at all concerned about HP gains, any gains would simply be a bonus, I just want whats best for the truck long term.

Thanks For Your Help

·
Premium Member
20,351 Posts
That would be atlas 40.

No worries about future towing if needed.
No need to ever change tunes again, improved throttle response and added power, and a guarantee that it will not interfere with the sct tunes. Only add to your happiness:thumb:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That would be atlas 40.

No worries about future towing if needed.
No need to ever change tunes again, improved throttle response and added power, and a guarantee that it will not interfere with the sct tunes. Only add to your happiness:thumb:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
The hell with it Atlas 40 it is!

You do a great job of convincing me...

Anymore thoughts on this Ben?

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
Ben...

Being on a college budget and all I think I'm just going to send it to FICMRepair.com and have him fix it and put a tune on it. Still not sure if I want to go with the Atlas 40 or Hercules. You said that the higher HP tunes don't match up well with the SCT tunes, what exactly is the difference between the Atlas 40 and the Hercules tune? I don't really know how the FICM tunes work (what they control), FICMRepairs website doesn't say much regarding what parameters are actually changed.

I am not at all concerned about HP gains, any gains would simply be a bonus, I just want whats best for the truck long term.

Thanks For Your Help
The Hercules file is a 100RWHP over stock tune, its hot, its smokey, and if you tow at all its not for you.
The Atlas40 is a 40RWHP over stock tune, it will match better to SCT programming.
Another thing to keep in mind, is the demand on the fuel system, and watch fuel pressure. And either file isn't going to add that full RWHP figure, when matched with the SCT.

There are plenty of guys that have run the Herc. file, and have since backed off to an Atlas40 or Atlas80 file.
You can pull up the HP and Torque numbers/dyno sheets off PHPs website.

If you are going to have a single file loaded, and not have the ability to change it, I wouldn't go higher than the Atlas40. Even if you don't currently use the truck to tow.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You guys are killing me here...

So if your saying people are switching from Hercules to Atlas 80 or Atlas 40 then theirs really no reason to get the Hercules.

From what your saying I guess Atlas 80 seems to be the way to go, no?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts