Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was cleaning my 7-pin flat blade plug on my trailer this past week, I thought how nice it would be if there was some sort of a dust cap that would attach when it is unhooked so dust, spiders, etc wouldn't end up in there.

I did a search on the web, ebay, amazon and didn't find anything.

Anyone know of such a thing?

I know I could always just use a female side but an official Dust Cap would be nice.

Thanks, Tom

·
Super Moderator
19,280 Posts
Never looked for one, but I like your idea. Have you looked @ any RV websites?

·
Registered
585 Posts
This is the one I use -

You can get one from amazon - just search 7-way plug cover or something like that.

·
Super Moderator
19,280 Posts
@Got Dirt? - thanks for that - I just went and ordered one for my 5th wheel plug. I need to get some contact cleaner and some dielectric grease.

·
Administrator
21,558 Posts

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Used to use small plastic cannon plug dustcaps. This site sells them for the carton load, but gives free samples: https://www.caplugs.com/connector-caps. They would be real handy for projects like this if they were available in smaller quantities. Over the years, I've wanted them to do things like cover electrical connectors, small hoses, or even to keep filings or debris out of round areas where tape would not stick.

·
Registered
585 Posts
@Got Dirt? - thanks for that - I just went and ordered one for my 5th wheel plug. I need to get some contact cleaner and some dielectric grease.
May I recommend DeoxIT for contact cleaner (amazing stuff) and Permatex dielectric grease (one 3 oz tube will almost last a lifetime).

·
Super Moderator
19,280 Posts
Got my cap today - Got some CRC contact cleaner and some dielectric grease - Cleaned up the contacts, greased the blades and installed the cap.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Got my cap today - Got some CRC contact cleaner and some dielectric grease - Cleaned up the contacts, greased the blades and installed the cap.

NOW you can sleep well at night..............:wink:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is the one I use -

You can get one from amazon - just search 7-way plug cover or something like that.
Perfect!

Just ordered two.

Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
I just joined the club. Ordered one. I had been looking at the plug the last time I towed and said to myself, "I wonder how long the metal will stay shiny?" Hopefully a little lonfer with this.

·
Administrator
21,558 Posts
Maybe we can have a ROTM for plug caps. :rofl:

·
Registered
585 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,390 Posts
I honestly don’t use one . I’ve had them b4 and all it did was corrode up my connections. So I just blow them out every other oil change and seems to work better. Mud sucks.

—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...

·
Registered
585 Posts
I honestly don’t use one . I’ve had them b4 and all it did was corrode up my connections. So I just blow them out every other oil change and seems to work better. Mud sucks.

—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...
DieselDC is right --- I just checked mine with the cap on it (had been raining quite a bit the last few weeks) and sure enough, there was some corrosion present. I repositioned the plug so that water won't collect in it (upside down), gave it a good spritz of cleaner and that should do the trick. Everyone should check theirs.
:nerd:

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts

As usual, I am late to the party, but I sure like those molded plugs.

·
Premium Member
3,312 Posts
When using a cap, you need to position the plug facing upward so it dont collect water, else the connections will sit in a water bath.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts