Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
Just joined today I’ve been reading this forum for a year or so since I bought my first Powerstroke a ‘06 F350 CCLB lariat 6.0.
Great truck and I love it but I think I may have enabled its demise.

I just drove it across the country to get my puppy and right after I got home the egr cooler failed (truck is totally stock only 118k). I towed it to my parents place which was a lot closer than mine, got it all taken apart in the driveway, installed new oil cooler and STC fitting but before I had a chance to get the oil filter housing and intake manifold back on a HUGE winter storm blew in overnight and thanks to the potato fields around here it created a dust bowl… I’m talking about the kind of dust that blows through closed windows…
You can imagine my concern for the truck. I did have the intake holes already plugged and the next morning I threw a blanket over the engine but dust still got into the open radiator ports and I’m sure into the new oil cooler and fuel lines and anything else under the hood.

Obviously I feel stupid and terrible. Plan is now to try and clean it out as much as possible and hope for the best but do you think I should try and sell the truck before any problems associated with the dust contamination pop up? I’d hate to let it go and I know that’s immoral but I can’t afford another breakdown and I’m still making payments on it. Any help is appreciated!

·
Premium Member
11,050 Posts
shop vac to suck/blow. As far as oil/fuel contamination it may be worth purchasing some cheap diesel oil from walmart and a cheap auztozone fuel filter and let them soak up the engine contamination maybe drive 500 or so miles and then change it to oem motorcraft oil/fuel filters and a quality diesel rated oil like delo/rotella etc. You can't stop everything but just what I would do in this case.

·
Registered
14 Posts
sorry to hear that, I agree with Justin OOO9, clean as much as you ca your self, then flush the systems with cheap filters for a few hundred miles and replace with new ones. I understand your pain, i bought my 05 6.0 with a head with a small crack and leaking egr cooler.

Reactions: 6blowPowerjoke

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks @JustinOOO9 and @Mid_Mo_6-oh seems like a solid plan. Another friend of mine suggested removing fuel supply lines to the heads and flushing those out. I do have a coolant filter so that should protect the oil cooler. I’m also considering an upgrade to a regulated return system while I have access to the parts.

·
Premium Member
2,842 Posts
You've re-written my definition of a dusted Powerstroke.

I never imagined that from the earlier description, and I grew up on a farm. But it is as bad as hitting an engine fire with dry chemical, just not as corrosive.

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
Holy crap...you weren't kidding! I didn't think it was THAT bad.

-jokester

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep. The damn potato farmers don’t believe in cover crops and this is what you get. Just glad I got the Hpop cover back on before it really got bad (some dust did get down in there but not a lot).
I think I kept it out of everywhere besides the radiator hoses which I plan to flush out with water. Also the fuel supply lines to the heads will be flushed as a precaution to protect the injectors.
Went ahead and ordered a regulated return/blue spring kit from Sinister just ‘cause I’m already in this deep, then I’m gonna treat her to a nice bath.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Holy cow man. Yeah I just don't understand any farmers who aren't getting on board with cover crops. It just makes to much sense. They also just lost a lot of their livelihood their. No dirt=no potatoes.

Reactions: 6blowPowerjoke
1 - 10 of 10 Posts