Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing some mainteneance on my PSD, trans flush, oil change etc. I was also flushing and replacing the coolant. I was done flushing the old coolant and started adding the new Rotella ELC coolant back, and was checking the capacity in the truck manual. It had in bold letters DO NOT USE FORD ELC COOLANT.

Oops its in now! but I have had several guys on the forum recommend Rotella ELC. Was the old ford elc not designed for diesels only gas engines or what?

Maybe its a little late but I thought I would ask.

·
Registered
601 Posts
i have no idea....all this coolant stuff confuses the hell out of me

·
Other vehicle is an F250
18,320 Posts
There has been some good threads about this on the forum. What I remember is that our trucks were the last year for the old green stuff. After 2001 they started using the yellow stuff. There are procedures for flushing out your system so you can change. The old green stuff requires an additive that you can get at Ford to keep the coolant from cavitating and eating away at parts you need! I bought a bunch of test strips from NAPA to keep tabs on the coolants condition. In fact, I am overdue to check it. Will do it tomorrow.

I suggest you search on the forum for an answer if someone more knowledgeable doesn't come along soon. Good luck!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
also the yellow coolant still needs the additive. mine took 2 pints to get it up to where it needed to be

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I found my answer, Rotella ELC is an approved coolant. It has all the proper certifications to run in diesel applications. And seems to come highly recommended by some pretty savvy guys.

Why the manual says no to use ELC I am still not positive but it seems thay had a ELC but it did not have the Diesel apllication certification from what I have read.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts