Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want 2 Know the thinkin, or lack of, behind the hunk of **** ford called a "flywheel",:doh: urg im glad i dont have a 4 wheel drive else id be real upset, I feel sorry for the poor guy who was unlucky enough to have duall mass/4 wheel drive combo, The sorry sacks at our ford parts dept. told me if i went 2 a single it would rattle apart :gr_bs: wtf is in a 2000 ym?
I have gone threw 4 of those bastards!, in different trucks.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Every dual mass I've pulled out has been replaced with a single, no problems every after that.
:agree: I've done about 20 like that and had no issues

·
Registered
582 Posts
Find a new dealer! Someone is feeding you a line, and changing to a SMF is probably one of the smartest things you can do. Not only is it a better design, but also a slightly larger clutch.

·
Premium Member
9,390 Posts
some one is pulling your chain,like said before , single mass is the only way to go, ive probably installed 40 at ford and at least half that many at my shop, and never had any issues, for half the price on top of that , luk makes a good kit and there are others as well, the whole kit costs half or a little more than a dual mass flywheel by itself

·
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER
5,877 Posts
I've been running a single for 40k and have no problems. It runs just as smooth as a new dual-mass unit and will last way longer. No stupid springs to fly away with a single. Do it and don't look back!

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
I'm getting mine done this week and everyone i've talked to said it's the way to go!

·
Registered
161 Posts
There is truth to the fact you dont want to put in a solid flywheel and keep the stock clutch the transmission will ratlle like nonother been there done that. If you buy a aftermarket kit ie flywheel and clutch together you should be fine but if you leep your stoke clutch and add the solid flywheel you have no way to dampen the engine each time a cylinder fires.

·
Registered
84 Posts
What happens if you loose a spring on a DM?

Jeb

·
Registered
84 Posts
Do the Dual Mass Flywheel really loose springs? I have seen it mentioned a few places over the last year but when I ask what happens if you loose a spring I get no answer.

I have a klunk in my 6 speed that the dealer says is normal and an independent garage says is not in the drive line behind the transmission. Just curious if it could be the flywheel and if I should care.

Jeb

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
Havn't really heard of the DMF loosing springs. I have seen them wear out and have slack. The Clutch disk are someone common about dropping springs.

·
What u talkin bout willis
2,724 Posts
IS THERE A WAY I CAN FIND OUT IF THERE IS A DUAL IN MY TRUCK WITHOUT HAVING TO PULL THE TRANNY AND WHAT NOT

·
Registered
84 Posts
Havn't really heard of the DMF loosing springs. I have seen them wear out and have slack. The Clutch disk are someone common about dropping springs.
Thanks, when someone said loose a spring I assumed hey meant from the DMF.

Jeb

1 - 14 of 14 Posts