Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an idea and I don't see any downfalls to it. Wondering if anybody else has done anything similar to it. I just bought an XDP inline coolant filter and am getting geared up on knowledge and materials to flush my cooling system. Anyways a buddy of mine just installed an IPR coolant filter on his truck. Very slick looking and appears to be a quality product. Anyways there was a part included that had 3/4 outlets on it to the oil cooler housing he didn't use, which I really liked that option. He asked if I wanted it. I like the IPR filter assembly, but I had already ordered my setup and don't feel like sending mine back or paying more for the IPR setup. Got to thinking today and thought what if I used the IPR fitting and plumbed it to a another filter, thinking about getting one from caterpillar and making my own mount and use my XDP too. Didn't see any cons to this and I would be able to pick more debris while I flush. Sorry got a lot of time on my hands on my commute to work on the train. :p

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
If your talking about the IPR coolant outlet manifold for the OEM oil cooler housing?
You don't want to use just any common by-pass coolant filter with that because it would restrict the coolant flow through the oil filter.
You will need a hi-flow coolant filter made with large inlet/outlet ports.

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If your talking about the IPR coolant outlet manifold for the OEM oil cooler housing?
You don't want to use just any common by-pass coolant filter with that because it would restrict the coolant flow through the oil filter.
You will need a hi-flow coolant filter made with large inlet/outlet ports.
Hmm.. thanks artic fox, yes it is the IPR coolant outlet on the manifold. Didn't consider the construction or design of IPR's filter assembly. Guess it would not be a good idea to use a conventional coolant filter there after all.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
You should put the ipr full flow on the manifold, and then you could tie in another filter setup on the heater hoses. That should work fine.

Edit: Ok, I see you got the xdp, my mistake. But what I mentioned above should be fine.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
If your talking about using a coolant filter setup from say a C15 Cat engine than you would be able to do that as they flow considerably more than ours do through them. You would need the full filter plate and the filters for them though to do this then run the lines. Being as you already have XDP's I don't think this is the avenue you were looking at.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts