Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got in a hurry while I was changing STC fitting on the HPOP and while I was changing the yellow o ring it fell down into the cam never to be seen again. Will the motor eat this o ring up or do I need to take it to a shop and have them pull the motor and cam to find it?

I am so pissed off at myself this is a beginner mistake, I knew better but this is where I'm at do I need to get it out or will the motor eat it up and filter it out?

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Gotta go with snake on this. Your rolling the dice here and the odds are always with the house. Do ya spend 2/3k now or 13k for a motor.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Get a borescope, look for it .

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Its a o Ring. Its soft material and i bet it probably fell into the oil pan..its not like its gonna get sucked up into the oil pump..
The potential problem is not from the possible grinding up of the o-ring but what can happen with the pieces. You can indeed suck up the pieces and plug up most of the pickup screen restricting flow. Restricted flow can cause oil pump wear and insufficent flow of oil to the main and rod beaings resulting in catastrofic engine failure.

Allways remember in machienery Murphy's Law rules.

·
Premium Member
4,670 Posts
Its a o Ring. Its soft material and i bet it probably fell into the oil pan..its not like its gonna get sucked up into the oil pump..
We're talking about a 6.0. A motor as prone to high pressure oil leaks as it is to blown head gaskets. A motor soooooo picky that a slightly restricted fuel filter will initially lead you to believe that its about to give up the ghost. A motor known to go through oil coolers like a fat girl goes through potato chips. I'm sure that o ring he dropped into the cam will go unnoticed.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I feel your pain, I almost lost a bolt down there. I quit for the day after that one, LOL. Try dropping your oil pan and see if it's there. You could even pour some oil down there and maybe wash it into the pan. I'm sure the engine will eat it right up and spit out little pieces. Where does the oil go from the pan, straight to the filter? Still seems risky with all the oil sensitive systems we have. Maybe try one of those automotive mirrors on a stick? Then get a good flashlight and try to look around?

·
Registered
368 Posts
If it were me I would pour a gallon of oil down there and drain it then pull the pan.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts