Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished up doing injectors and glow plugs on pass side of my 2003 f250 ccsb, came to the driver side and removed the glow plug closest to fire wall. Dropped the new one in and tried to tighten it down to find it fell over and wedged inside the head right next to the injector hold down. I had to push the glow plug down pretty far and bend it in order to remove it. My question is pushing it down that far like I did there’s no way I could have puncture the head gasket correct? On the rest of the cylinder looks like is just solid down there nothing to puncture just wanted to make sure. Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
There is a thin plastic sleeve that fits in the glow plug hole to act as a guide, so that does not happen
would have been handy in your situation

You wont get to the head gasket from there -- there is a sleeve that surrounds the glow plug, but I don't think you would have hurt that

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It pretty much went right past the hole for the glow plug and when I put the socket in there it wedged it up against the injector hold down. Sweet, I kind of figured it was ok considering I got it out without breaking any pieces off. Thanks for the reply, I feel pretty dumb lol

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
It has happened to all of us one time or another, all part of the job -- no need to feel bad

a short piece of hose works well also, push over the end of the glow plug and use the hose to turn the plug into the threads

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That’s a pretty good idea, I’ll have to try that next time, had to pull the valve cover to get the messed up one out so it should be pretty easy to guide it in now lol

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Look at some pics of other 6.0 heads. Looks like there is a hole in the same area where it got stuck. Just a clear oil passage I hope and not blocked off by a head gasket?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Picture of what happened, was wedged in there tight
Are you able to leave the glow plug in there if its wedged in pretty good? I'm dealing with this right now and I dont have much room to work with. It's on the passenger side, 2nd from the front of the engine .

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wouldn’t leave it in there, I was scared to bend it to get it out because I heard they will snap from being hollow. I ended up getting a deep dish socket over the edge of the plug and threw a long extension on it and just bent the crap out of it and it came right out.
Are you able to leave the glow plug in there if its wedged in pretty good? I'm dealing with this right now and I dont have much room to work with. It's on the passenger side, 2nd from the front of the engine .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts